cloudy and yellow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jci3005

Reaction score
My cycer is yellow and cloudy. Had good fermentation for two days. Now there no action in the air lock. There is little white bubbles forming and sediment moving inside. Does this sound right for the 5th day in primary.

My cycer is yellow and cloudy. Had good fermentation for two days. Now there no action in the air lock. There is little white bubbles forming and sediment moving inside. Does this sound right for the 5th day in primary.

Yes. It's full of suspended yeast. Just keep it covered, or in a cool dark place, and it'll start to clear when it's finished and ready to clear.

ForumRunner_20131011_201748.jpg

ForumRunner_20131011_201830.jpg

Another question I have. Did I leave to much head room? If so, what do you think I should do about it. That is if anything can be done.

Another question I have. Did I leave to much head room? If so, what do you think I should do about it. That is if anything can be done.

Yes, it's too much headspace. It is fine during active fermentation, but once fermentation slows it's important to reduce the headspace.

I did the same thing today- had a 2 gallon batch in a 3 gallon carboy for about 6 days. Today, the gravity is 1.010, and fermentation is slowing, so I racked (siphon) to two one gallon jugs, topped up, and re-airlocked.

I had a TON of sediment in mine, and it's already forming again. But the cider is clearing a bit.

Thanks for the advise. This is my first batch of cider or fermenting anything. If this comes out good I'll be hooked.

had to dump out my cyser. I didn't sanitize my equipment right lost the batch. Made a second batch of cider and it came out good. But waiting till Christmas of 14 to see if it matures nicely.

Back