Cloudy and stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
5 gal, 6lbs extract, 0.5lb 2-row mashed with 0.5lb Honey Malt, steeped for 30 min at 155 - 165ish. SF05

Pitched yeast at 75 degrees.

2 weeks at 65. Normally, my beer is 1.010 - 1.013 and crystal clear.
Now it is super cloudy like Georgia clay mixed in water, and sitting at 1.020. No problem.

So I move it to 75-78 degrees for another week. Today I am ready to transfer to a secondary. Absolutely no change in appearance, and still stuck at 1.020. Did not transfer.

Going for another week, and hoping for a change, but not real confident.

Considering putting in my garage for heat, but that will likely get up to 90-100 degrees at mid day.

Thoughts?

Now if it's at 1.020 and done. Fine. I can handle that. It might not be the best, but I will enjoy it. However, why such a milky, cloudy mess?

I also see solids floating.. Here is a pic

IMAG1003.jpg

They are solids.. Almost husk like. Could be grains. I remember the steeping bag leaking some milled grains. Do they not settle?

IMAG1005.jpg

Put it someplace cold (not warm!). Within 24-48 hours, it should be very clear.

If it's done, it's done. Cloudiness can be related to the yeast strain- some yeast strains don't clear well until they are cold crashed.

Thanks. It's SF05, which I use for 90% of my brews. Never had this problem. I do plan on cold crashing.

Latest idea.

I am going to rack to my bottling bucket so that I can use the spout to control the flow. I will slowly pour it through a coffee filter to get out the grains, into my secondary. Let it sit for a.week, then cold crash.

Latest idea.

I am going to rack to my bottling bucket so that I can use the spout to control the flow. I will slowly pour it through a coffee filter to get out the grains, into my secondary. Let it sit for a.week, then cold crash.

That will ruin it by oxidizing it. Careful racking after a cold crash is all you need.

Latest idea.

Is it actual chunks of grain in your beer?

If so you may have a bigger problem than cloudiness. If there was a significant amount of grain boiled you will likely have issues with tannins and astringency.

+1 to what Yooper said too, the filter isn't a good idea. You also boost the risk of infection by doing that.

I think they may be grain peices, thus the filter idea.

I could also rack through a sanitized stainless strainer, but the smaller pieces will still get through.

I think they may be grain peices, thus the filter idea.

I could also rack through a sanitized stainless strainer, but the smaller pieces will still get through.

If there's only a few I would just leave them. It's not worth the risk of oxygenation or infection to try to strain them out, and when you cold crash they will sink and become mired in the yeast layer at the bottom.

Stick that sucker in the fridge for a couple days and then taste it! :rockin:

Already tasted, and nothing seemed abnormal.

Will do. Cold crashing up next.

Back