Cloudy and odd taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgentile

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian Blonde 3 weeks ago all grain 9lbs Pilsner 2lbs Aromatic and added .5lb of Pale Wheat malt, pitched WLP550, I have brewed this before and the only change was the .5lb of Pale Wheat. Last time it fermented in 7 days racked and cold crashed in the cellar for 3 days and bottled turned out great. This time I used Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522. Smack pack never swelled pitched anyway and after 20hrs no yeast activity its now a late Sunday morning and a local supply shop is open and I get WLP550 and pitch it and I have vigorous fermentation in 8 hours fermentation goes just like prior and I cold crash for 3 days brew look fairly clear so I bottle adding corn sugar to prime and the warm bottle age. Now after 1 week test bottle smells good but tastes kind of funky off flavors and brew is cloudy. I have warm aged 2 weeks now and now I am bottle aging at 45F in the cellar. Is there hope for this batch?

20 Hours is also not out of the ordinary for fermentation to start. I'd say the biggest change you made was fermenting this beer with two different yeasts, not to mention 3 weeks to be drinking seems quite young, especially since it's bottled not kegged.

I'm not sure the Wyeast ever took off the smack pack did not swell, though I have wondered if 2 similar yeast could work at the same time and what the end result would be.

My package of Wyeast 1214 never swelled either, but it fermented just fine.
You can definitely ferment with more than one yeast at a time, you'll probably end up with a beer that you love, and spend the rest of your brewing life trying to replicate :)

Back