Cloudy Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzachery

Reaction score
I just brewed a scotch ale yesterday. 5gal in a plastic bucket. It's my first time with liquid yeast and I pitched it about 36 hours before I brewed. Now, the morning after I brewed, I notice my airlock is bubbling per usual, but the water in it is cloudy and yeasty smelling. Is this ok??

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I try to keep 25% of the vessel volume as free space for the foam! I think you have just got some foam getting up there, if it's starts going mad cool it down a few degrees.

+1. Prob just a little krausen in there from a vigorous fermentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would keep an eye on it and make sure that krausen is not getting in the airlock. If it is you probably need a blowoff tube because it can blow the lid off. Just keep an eye out for bulging in the lid and if there is bulging then be VERY careful popping it off. When it bulges that is pretty much like opening a 2 liter bottle of pop after shaking vigorously for 5 minutes on a hot day. Your walls, ceiling and everyone who lives with you will appreciate being careful opening it.

Probably just foam from fermenting. If it concerns you that much, put a little more sanitizer in the air lock. I usually keep a couple of gallons of premixed star san around for emergencies. You don't want to contaminate things but having something not be sanitized.

Hi all,
I am having the same issue with a dead guy clone. Is popping the airlock off rinsing and replacing a bad idea? I pitched two liquid yeast slap pacs and things are super vigorous. I am trying to not worry. Any reassurances gladly welcomed.
Keith

I would add that what is additionally feeding the nerves is I did a late addition of liquid extract to the boil, and to keep color desirable I boiled it for the last 15minutes. I have never done this before, the rest of my process was part grain mash as normal. And my og was totally weird high.
Thanks for any help.
Keith

Cleaning sanitizing and re-installing is fine. However, if it is still just as vigorous, you will have to do it again. Better would be to use a blowoff hose. Take a length of pastic hose and attach it either to the center tube of the airlock (if using a three piece), or insert it into the whole of the bucket lid or the cork of the carboy. Run the other end into a bucket of sanitizer. This gives you, in effect, a giant airlock.

I start almost all beers with a blowoff.

Done. Bubbling away. Any pearls on the late addition of liquid malt extract and weird high OG gravity?
Keith

Back