Closest clone to Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I would like to do a 5gallon extract version of this with steeping grains as well. I have searched alot on the web, but cant find any confirmed great clones. Since I know the guys on here know their stuff, can anyone recommend me one? Thanks!

From Clonebrews:

toast 0.5lb oats in the oven on a cookie sheet for 75min (turning every 15min) at 325˚.

Steep them with:
0.5lb Crystal 55
0.5lb Chocolate Malt
0.25lb Roasted Barley

5.75lb M&F light DME

2oz EKG 4.25% @60min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

Kai said:
From Clonebrews:

toast 0.5lb oats in the oven on a cookie sheet for 75min (turning every 15min) at 325˚.

Steep them with:
0.5lb Crystal 55
0.5lb Chocolate Malt
0.25lb Roasted Barley

5.75lb M&F light DME

2oz EKG 4.25% @60min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

Thats the only Oatmeal Stout recipe that i brew now, its fantastic and it does come very close to the real deal.

Thats the only Oatmeal Stout recipe that i brew now, its fantastic and it does come very close to the real deal.

I agree. I had to make a couple of substitutions because I'm out here in Korea so I had to use Cascade hops and Munton's dry yeast but I'm absolutely shocked at how delicious this is. Won't brew anything else!

I am doign a choc oatmeal stout manana and mashing at 156 for 90 minutes. I based my recipe mostly on Yoopers Oatmeal Stout.

What did you guys use as a fermentation time / schedule for this?
Thanks!

So, I brewed this and it ended up being quite light in color and flavor. In other stout style recipes a dark DME or LME is used along with the specialty grains. Just wanted verification that it is Light DME in this recipe

So, I brewed this and it ended up being quite light in color and flavor. In other stout style recipes a dark DME or LME is used along with the specialty grains. Just wanted verification that it is Light DME in this recipe

I agree. I brewed this clone exactly as it was described. It is the second worst beer I have ever made.

No flavor, and a brown color. Brown does NOT equal stout. I was very disappointed.

The first time I used this clone, I added extra chocolate malt, and I used 3 pounds light DME, and 3 pounds Briess Dark DME. I also added an extra 1 and 1/2 pounds of DME. It was delicious.

Never use this recipe! Use my altered version.

UPDATE 2-2-2013:
In a desperate attempt to fix this disaster of a recipe I steeped 8 ounces of chocolate malt in 1/2 gallon of water, then reduced it to a quarter gallon, chilled it, and then poured it into the keg. It now tastes pretty good, but not as good as my altered recipe.
My advice, just keep making oatmeal stouts, tweaking them each time and experimenting with yeasts, and one day we may have a decent clone. Too bad we can't harvest yeast from a bottle of SS Oatmeal Stout...

I agree. I brewed this clone exactly as it was described. It is the second worst beer I have ever made.

No flavor, and a brown color. Brown does NOT equal stout. I was very disappointed.

The first time I used this clone, I added extra chocolate malt, and I used 3 pounds light DME, and 3 pounds Briess Dark DME. I also added an extra 1 and 1/2 pounds of DME. It was delicious.

Never use this recipe! Use my altered version.

UPDATE 2-2-2013:
In a desperate attempt to fix this disaster of a recipe I steeped 8 ounces of chocolate malt in 1/2 gallon of water, then reduced it to a quarter gallon, chilled it, and then poured it into the keg. It now tastes pretty good, but not as good as my altered recipe.
My advice, just keep making oatmeal stouts, tweaking them each time and experimenting with yeasts, and one day we may have a decent clone. Too bad we can't harvest yeast from a bottle of SS Oatmeal Stout...

Wow, you ripped this recipe pretty good. Weird how the results vary with this. Its unfortunate because I am a tad concerned going into a brewing weekend where this is one of the two batches I plan on brewing. Based on Clonebrews version I think I will go ahead and do the partial mash with 2 lbs Maris Otter. I want to do a partial mash 1) because I'm trying to step up my brewing game and 2) it seems to me that it will result in a higher quality extraction (I think that's the term) than simply steeping for 20 min. Also want to get the full effect from the oats. I may try to get as close to a full volume boil as I can, probably 5 gallons or so.

Are there any recommendations from the crowd about quantity of roasted barley or anything else to make sure this is a solid, dark oatmeal stout? Would a little more roasted barley and a little more oatmeal be helpful?

TIA!

I have my own version but you can try this one if you want. I also toasted my oats for about 20 - 30 min. I just brewed my own version, and transferred it to secondary the other day, while taking a gravity reading, I tasted it, and it was pretty good. I have not bottled it and tried the final product yet though.

http://hopville.com/recipe/546630

I have a great oatmeal stout I have made and altered,made this one 3 times,everyone loves it,real dark,taste like Samuel smiths
9.5 lbs. pale malt
1.5 lbs. cara-pils.
1.5 lbs. flaked oats
1.75 lbs. quaker oats
.75 lbs. roasted unmalted barley
.50 lbs. med. crystal
.25 lbs. black patent
mash 90 min. @ 154 d.
1 oz. brewers gold 60 min.
1 oz. uk fuggle 30 min.
wyeast 1028
carboy 16 days
cold crash then keg,age cold for 21days

I have a great oatmeal stout I have made and altered,made this one 3 times,everyone loves it,real dark,taste like Samuel smiths
9.5 lbs. pale malt
1.5 lbs. cara-pils.
1.5 lbs. flaked oats
1.75 lbs. quaker oats
.75 lbs. roasted unmalted barley
.50 lbs. med. crystal
.25 lbs. black patent
mash 90 min. @ 154 d.
1 oz. brewers gold 60 min.
1 oz. uk fuggle 30 min.
wyeast 1028
carboy 16 days
cold crash then keg,age cold for 21days

is that for a 5 gallon batch? what's the og and fg supposed to be?

Back