Closed transfer with beer gas

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Coldies

Reaction score
I’ve got a large bottle of beer gas (75% nitrogen and 25% CO2) and was wondering if anybody has used this to do a closed transfer. I’m not a scientist by any means but I’m pretty sure nitrogen is an inert gas and should be fine. Thoughts?

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
It'll totally work, no problem. If there's an issue it's the relative cost vs a straight CO2 push, as the former is not a liquid-phase material with the attendant density, while the latter is. Given the choice I'd opt for a CO2-push, but if that's not an option I wouldn't lose any sleep over a "beergas push" :)

Cheers!

OP
Coldies

Coldies

Reaction score
It'll totally work, no problem. If there's an issue it's the relative cost vs a straight CO2 push, as the former is not a liquid-phase material with the attendant density, while the latter is. Given the choice I'd opt for a CO2-push, but if that's not an option I wouldn't lose any sleep over a "beergas push" :)

Cheers!
I’ve got CO2 but have this large bottle of beer gas for my old nitrogen handle (it’s on the fritz right now) so I rarely use it compared to my CO2. I use to use it to start my siphon a while ago, but it wasn’t a completely closed transfer