Closed Transfer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan46nbrew

Reaction score
I have a spike conical that I've done 2 closed transfers with to some sanke kegs through a tap that has the check valves removed. I got to thinking there is air in the line from the conical to the keg. Is this enough O2 to be a problem? If so how do I purge the air out?

Not sure how much o2 will be pushed into the keg , but what I do is let the beer fill up the transfer hose and then drain a little bit in a bucket then connect the hose to the keg .

The keg purging process should do that, but I suspect you might not be doing it ideally...
1. Dose some starsan concentrate into the coupler, then fill the keg with water until it comes out the gas in port on the coupler.
2. Hook up your transfer hose to the beer out of the coupler.
3. Hook up gas to the coupler gas in.
4. Dangle the TC fitting of the filler hose that normally clamps to the conical into a bucket and dispense out all the starsan until it's blowing gas (then disengage the coupler handle to stop the flow of gas.
5. Connect TC to the racking port valve but leave the clamp loose. Re-engage the coupler lever to push gas into the butterfly valve and let it leak at that TC connection for about 10 seconds, then tighten the clamp.

6a. If the beer in the conical is not carbonated: Run a short hose from the coupler gas port into a bucket of starsan or water.
6b. If the beer IS carbonated, put a spunding valve on the gas port of the coupler set to the carbonation pressure. Add co2 to the conical top port and keep the pressure 1-2psi above the carbonation pressure.

7. Open the butterfly valve on the racking port.

Back