Closed Transfer from 14.5 Blichmann Triclamp to Keg - Fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wubears71

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to do my first transfer from my 14.5 gallon Blichmann Fermenator with the Triclamp fittings to a 5 gallon ball lock and realized that I have "fitting issues". I jerry-rigged a setup that worked so-so, but I had air leaks, so I wasted a lot of CO2 in the process and ended up just gravity feeding 1/2 of the first keg and all of the 2nd keg so I didn't completely purge my 5 lb cylinder.

With that being said, here are the connections:
  • Fermenator CO2 Inlet (Tri-clamp Blow-off Kit) - 1/2" Barbed Adapter
  • CO2 Regulator Outlet - 5/16" Barbed
  • Fermenator Racking Arm Discharge - 1/2" Flare
  • Ball Lock Liquid Fitting - threaded 1/4" Flare

What I am struggling with is the best way to adapt the various fittings so that I can transfer leak free.
  • I need something to step the Threaded 1/4" Flare fitting on the Ball Lock Liquid Fitting to accept a 1/2" barbed fitting.
  • I need something to Step up the CO2 Regulator Outlet 5/16" barb to 1/2" barb or step down the Tri-Clamp 1/2" Barbed Adapter to 5/16".

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yesterday, I went to do my first transfer from my 14.5 gallon Blichmann Fermenator with the Triclamp fittings to a 5 gallon ball lock and realized that I have "fitting issues". I jerry-rigged a setup that worked so-so, but I had air leaks, so I wasted a lot of CO2 in the process and ended up just gravity feeding 1/2 of the first keg and all of the 2nd keg so I didn't completely purge my 5 lb cylinder.

With that being said, here are the connections:
  • Fermenator CO2 Inlet (Tri-clamp Blow-off Kit) - 1/2" Barbed Adapter
  • CO2 Regulator Outlet - 5/16" Barbed
  • Fermenator Racking Arm Discharge - 1/2" Flare
  • Ball Lock Liquid Fitting - threaded 1/4" Flare

What I am struggling with is the best way to adapt the various fittings so that I can transfer leak free.
  • I need something to step the Threaded 1/4" Flare fitting on the Ball Lock Liquid Fitting to accept a 1/2" barbed fitting.
  • I need something to Step up the CO2 Regulator Outlet 5/16" barb to 1/2" barb or step down the Tri-Clamp 1/2" Barbed Adapter to 5/16".

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hi

The CO2 side is easy: 5/16" barb to male pipe thread adapter / female pipe to female pipe coupling / male pipe thread to 1/2" barb adapter. Probably easiest to do it with 1/2" pipe threads. You may need a reducer between the 5/16" barb and the female / female coupling. Just about everything should be in stock at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

The liquid side is similar: 1/2" barb to the same female to female pipe coupler, 1/2" to 1/4" reducer, 1/4 pipe to 3/16 barb fitting, 3/16 beverage hose to the barb on the flare on the ball lock coupler.

As with any plumbing job there are about a million combinations that will work. The stuff above should all be a single trip to get locally. If you want to do some mail order there are fancier ways to go from the brew hardware guys.

Bob

Hi

The CO2 side is easy: 5/16" barb to male pipe thread adapter / female pipe to female pipe coupling / male pipe thread to 1/2" barb adapter. Probably easiest to do it with 1/2" pipe threads. You may need a reducer between the 5/16" barb and the female / female coupling. Just about everything should be in stock at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

The liquid side is similar: 1/2" barb to the same female to female pipe coupler, 1/2" to 1/4" reducer, 1/4 pipe to 3/16 barb fitting, 3/16 beverage hose to the barb on the flare on the ball lock coupler.

As with any plumbing job there are about a million combinations that will work. The stuff above should all be a single trip to get locally. If you want to do some mail order there are fancier ways to go from the brew hardware guys.

Bob

Awesome. Thanks. That is perfect. I was trying to avoid ordering more parts.

Back