Closed Racking onto Hop Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JReasoner

Reaction score
This weekend I'm planning to rack my Mosaic Promise clone to keg. I'm going to be dry hopping with one of the 400 micron hop tubes, and have a few questions.

I'd like to purge the receiving keg, but I'm not sure how I would do that with the hop tube. The best way to purge that I know of is to have a full keg of starsan and empty it with CO2, but I don't think I want to do that with the dry hop tube (hop pellets soaking up starsan does not sound delicious).

Any thoughts on a way to rack into a purged keg? Or is my best bet to not purge the keg before racking?

Maybe fill with starsan , push out with co2, closed transfer of beer . Pop open the top real quick and insert your hop tube , close and purge with co2.

I thought about that, but if I'm going to open the keg after transfer, and drop that tube (which will be full of air) into the keg, is it worth purging with starsan? Maybe run some gas into the keg with the hop tube already in it and then rack into the keg that at least has a lower concentration of O2?

Honestly I dont dry hop in my kegs . Purging the starsan out then close transfer keeps most of the o2 out compared to just opening the top and filling with beer that way. You have to sanitize the keg anyways with starsan . I dry hop 3-5 days out then keg.

Back