Clone Brews and SRM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuits

Reaction score
Until recently, I had always just trusted that when I brewed a recipe from Clone Brews that everything was accurate. Now that my brewing spreadsheet has evolved and I am able to account for SRM, I have noticed that the recipes in the book are way far off. For example, I plugged in two recipes, one for Ithaca Nut Brown Ale and another for Moose Drool. Both claimed SRM's in the 40's, yet when I plug it into my spreadsheet, I am more like half that.

I know the issue isn't my spreadsheet because I always hit it on the head when I compare it with recipes posted on HBT with programs like BrewSmith.

Can anyone shed light on this?

I use BS 2.2 currently. But when I'm either cloning, or trying to emulate an old/extinct style, I try to find pics or descriptions of the color, flavor, aroma, etc. Then play around with the recipe until it looks like I'm really close to the color first of all. To me, with what grains, etc I use to get the color spot on, also seems to get close to the flavor for starters. Then just adding ingredients to get the flavor & aroma right.

Back