Clogged dump valve on conical SS Brewtech

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

birzzz

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a conical unitank 7 gallon from SS Brewtech. Whenever I brew NEIPAs and obviously do a lot of dry hoping, I always end up with a clogged dump valve. As of now, what I am doing when I don't want the beer to sit to long on the hop, I use a sanitized stainless chopstick and wiggle my way through inside the valve to remove the clogged hops, until it start to flow. it is a bit messy and I'm sure there is a better alternative.

Please let me know if there is a better way.

Thanks,

pvpeacock

Reaction score
Try dumping trub earlier in the fermentation process before it solidifies and possibly more than once. If my Conical dump valve gets clogged because I didn't dump early or often enough, I use a bent dip tube I cut down to about 1 foot long. The bend in the tube is great for getting up into the elbow joint connected to the dump valve. I haven't come up with any better way yet.

Vale71

Reaction score
Since it's a Unitank you can use pressure to force the trub out. You'd really have to wait a long, long time for it to become so hard that it could withstand 1 bar positive pressure. Normally you'd have to make sure you don't overdo it with the pressure if you don't want to paint your outline on the opposite wall. :D

Last edited: