Clogged dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse9

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a situation with one of my kegs. The dip tube is clogged because I was stupid when I kegged my beer and dry hopped in the keg and did not put the hops in a bag or anything, just dumped me right in. I was quite buzzed at the time so that definitely contributed to my laziness.

I'm wondering what the best way to solve this is. I was thinking about just racking the beer to another keg, but the beer is already carbonated and I'm not sure if that will mess anything up.

I've already used co2 to unclog the dip tube and it just clogs right up as soon as I try to pour a beer.

Any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I have a situation with one of my kegs. The dip tube is clogged because I was stupid when I kegged my beer and dry hopped in the keg and did not put the hops in a bag or anything, just dumped me right in. I was quite buzzed at the time so that definitely contributed to my laziness.

I'm wondering what the best way to solve this is. I was thinking about just racking the beer to another keg, but the beer is already carbonated and I'm not sure if that will mess anything up.

I've already used co2 to unclog the dip tube and it just clogs right up as soon as I try to pour a beer.

Any suggestions?

One thing that might work is purchasing one of those metal (stainless) hops long things for the keg's diptube. I've seen them, but can't remember the name of them. That may clogged up, too, but it might work.

Otherwise, you could try some sort of cheesecloth/hop bag arrangement over the diptube (maybe held on with zipties?) to transfer from the keg to another keg. If you use a black quick disconnect, some beer line, and another black disconnect, you can "jump" via the "out" post to a new keg and into that "out" post so it doesn't foam too much. But of course, the key to that would be to make sure you don't get hops up into the diptube again so that's why a barrier like a stainless hopper thing (wish I could remember where I saw that!) or the hops bag over the diptube would help.

So you think using my auto siphon would create too much foam? I was just thinking about opening the keg and siphoning it to a new one.

Also, I'm using pin lock kegs if that makes any difference. I do have a socket to take it apart.

You can pull the tube and cut an inch or so off the bottom. That solved my problem when I did the same thing dry hopping. I then purchased another dip tube so that I can use either one. I also bought a couple of screens that fit over the end of the dip tube that help filter debris out of the beer as it's flowing out of the keg. This helps keep debris from clogging the outlet post and disconnects, too.

If you can get the beer to flow out of your keg (maybe after cutting the tube), you can rack to another keg. Just get everything as cold as possible and pressurize the empty keg first. Then start your transfer using tubing connected "out-to-out" between the kegs, and slowly bleed the pressure of the second keg. I've used this method with carbonated beer and it's worked for me.

For my longer term solution I just purchased (and used in my last IPA) an in-keg stainless filter made by Arbor Fabricating (I bought it through Utah Biodeisel) and it worked great. I highly recommend it. Easy to use, easy to clean, very minimal hop debris afterward.

Best of Luck.

I tried cutting off an inch of dip tube and it's still clogged. I guess dumping 3 ounces of dry hops was too much. Next I'm going to try putting something over the dip tube like a hop bag or maybe use a part of my old stainless braid from my mlt.

Any other suggestions? I just want to drink this beer!!!

Update: I ended up using the spare stainless braid from my MLT and it worked like a charm! I now get to enjoy Biermuncher's Sacred Summit Pale Ale! It is soooooo good, thanks everyone for your help!

Back