Clockwise or Counterclockwise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zul'jin

Reaction score
Should I stir my wort clockwise or counterclockwise?

On first thought, it seems clockwise is the way to stir. That's the way water naturally flows down a drain. To stir clockwise is to stir with time. Clockwise is forward, going toward. Progression.

But counterclockwise, that's just backwards. I might undo my wort going that way. It would reverse time and take longer to boil. Going counterclockwise may even freeze the wort. Best not to chance that.

Ah, what about stirring both ways? Yeah. Get it going clockwise and then switch to counterclockwise. Smash all those ingredients together like some home brew particle collider. Nothing could resist mixing in a transreversedirectional stirring style like that.

Just be sure to stir clockwise first, more clockwise than counter and always end with a clockwise stir. Otherwise, your beer will be ruined. It won't ferment, won't carbonate and will get an infection. Guaranteed.

I tried stirring both ways at the same time but I caused a paradox =(

Should I stir my wort clockwise or counterclockwise?

On first thought, it seems clockwise is the way to stir. That's the way water naturally flows down a drain. To stir clockwise is to stir with time. Clockwise is forward, going toward. Progression.

But counterclockwise, that's just backwards. I might undo my wort going that way. It would reverse time and take longer to boil. Going counterclockwise may even freeze the wort. Best not to chance that.

Ah, what about stirring both ways? Yeah. Get it going clockwise and then switch to counterclockwise. Smash all those ingredients together like some home brew particle collider. Nothing could resist mixing in a transreversedirectional stirring style like that.

Just be sure to stir clockwise first, more clockwise than counter and always end with a clockwise stir. Otherwise, your beer will be ruined. It won't ferment, won't carbonate and will get an infection. Guaranteed.

Try up and down too!

It all depends on whether you are above or below the equator...

Or is it the Mason Dixon line? I get those two mixed up sometimes....

+1 one on the quantum paradox of going both ways.

earthgoboom.jpg

Try stirring the top half of the pot clockwise and the bottom have the opposite direction, all the while rotating the pot (either direction)!

:D

It all depends on whether you are above or below the equator...

Or is it the Mason Dixon line? I get those two mixed up sometimes....

+1 one on the quantum paradox of going both ways.

earthgoboom.jpg

Why would anyone set their nuts on fire, then post a pic of it? You are one sick pup, Revvy. :p

I have done the coriolis effect thing at the equator, it was pretty cool.

10 feet one side of the sign the water went one way, 10 feet the other side it went the other way.

Pretty neat for a geek like me!

WTF!? I come up with a whole new brewing technique discussion, one not even covered in Revy's sig, and I get kicked down to ramblings!?! I ain't even drunk. Just look at how good my spelling is. I'm not even going off on mid thought tangents or anything.

Well, ya know what? FINE! Ya want me down here all drunked up n stuff? Well, that's the way he wants it and that's the way he gets it. Just know this, I don't like this Broken Halo so I'm gonna have to chug it. You know what that means? It means something.

One down Jimmy boy! One down.

:tank:

I tried stirring counterclockwise, but after a few minutes of doing that I appeared and told myself to stop. Damned space-time continuum.

Sorry brother Zul'jin, I guess you've been type cast....kind of like laughing gnome...it took us awhile to realize he was all suddenly serious and actually talking about brewing...:D

I'm a clockwise stirrer myself.

Aren't gnomes the most mechanical magical creature? Seems like a gnome would have a big, overly-elaborate, steam-powered stirring stick...

Thing is, his wife is always using it. ;)

I prefer the collider method. By going anti-counter clockwise first then finish with anti-clockwise so it's the right temperature.

Aren't gnomes the most mechanical magical creature? Seems like a gnome would have a big, overly-elaborate, steam-powered stirring stick...

Actually I normally trick a pole cat into chasing a fake mouse, the pole cat creates a small wind which I catch with a green sail. The sail rotates a stirrer that uniformly mixes my wort. It is a great little trick.

I just put a link back to this thread, thus creating a vortex of linkage, that may either ravel or unravel the very fabric of hbt, or at the very least the universe. :fro:
I just put a link back to this thread, thus creating a vortex of linkage, that may either ravel or unravel the very fabric of hbt, or at the very least the universe. :fro:

No more paradoxes for today.

What ever con pew pew pew ter. Thats from like 2004. And whose is better? I put thoughts into mine. He just asked. AND his in in a brew forum. but nooooooo! I get put down here. Just as well. this is where its at. where its at? i got 2 turntables and a microphone.

3 1/2 and this is tasting like marihoochiana now.

:( Sowwie I take it back, not newbish, just drunkish, which ya know... is acceptable here, the first part of recovery is admitting that you like to post in the drunken ramblings forum.

This thread makes me think of Superman, flying around the world so fast that he made time reverse backwards. I don't know if Superman homebrews, but if he does don't get too close to the pot while he's stirring it.:cross:

Maybe you could try stiring it in the same motion alot of guys were told to by their women? After all they know more about this stuff than guys do. If I'm not mistaken The prefered method is to stir the batch starting with the shape of the letter A then B then C,D,E,F,G,H I.......OH MY:D

Back