clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo

Reaction score
when you guys speak of clearing do u mean clearng as in the beer is clear not cloudy? i just had one ready to go (drinking it as i speak) that tastes really good but it is cloudy is this because of no secondary, or not left in the bottle long enough? or is thishow homebrew normally is (this is my first batch)

MikeFlynn74 said:
Depends on what type of beer it is
brown ale i got down at the moment but what do you mean by it depends on different beers what other types of clearing is there

That's the idea anyway. That is what people use seconday for. It also helps to leave your bottles in the fridge for a couple of days before drinking. Congrats on your first brew.

Many of my beers end up somewhat cloudy, it's nothing to worry about if the beer tastes good.

Secondary is mainly used to help the beer clear, just to give it more time for everything to drop out, but it is not necessary. There are some other things, like adding Irish Moss during flameout, that can also reduce cloudiness.

Some beer types are meant to be cloudy, like Hefes. I believe that is why you were asked what beer style you were brewing.

All beers except weizens are usually clear.

All you really have to do is let it sit in the carboy for a couple more weeks to do this.

Also the more clear it is going into the bottle the cleaner it will be coming out of the bottle.

Damo how long was the brown ale in the primary and did you secondary? Longer in the bottle will let the sediment go to the bottom. You will just have to be more careful while pouring so it doesn't get into the poured brew.

Gar...Longer in the bottle will let the sediment go to the bottom. You will just have to be more careful while pouring so it doesn't get into the poured brew.[/quote said:
True, but if you let the beer sit longer in the secondary all (most of) that sediment will not make it into your bottles...;)

GaryA said:
Damo how long was the brown ale in the primary and did you secondary? Longer in the bottle will let the sediment go to the bottom. You will just have to be more careful while pouring so it doesn't get into the poured brew.

the brown ale is in primary atthe moment only been down for bout 2 days the one i was drinking was a pale ale

Back