Clearing wheat beer with polyclar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I have a wheat beer that is done fermenting and is a bit more cloudy than I would like. This is going in a keg with passion fruit extract to hopefully be something like the Kona brewing Wailua wheat. I have recently tried Kristalweisse beer and it was very good and perfectly clear. I was thinking of adding polyclar and cold crashing the fermenter for a few days to clear the beer. I know it is a wheat beer and everyone expects them to be cloudy but I'd like to get it clear like the Kristalweisse. Is polyclar and cold crashing the best way?

Sounds like a good plan to clear it. I would never clear a wheat beer (that kind of defeats the purpose of making a wheat beer IMO), but it's not my beer.:mug:

I used to think the same thing until I had the kristalweisse it tased like a hef but was clear.

Kristalweizen

Description:
A filtered version of a Hefeweizen, showcasing bright and clear bodies from pale straw to light amber. Overall character will be more clean and softer on the palate, and the common banana and phenols will be more subtle.

Average alcohol by volume (abv) range: 4.0-7.0% [ ? ]

I am cold crashing now and will put it into a secondary with some polyclar for a few days before kegging on top of the passion fruit extract.

I actually prefer a Kristallweizen to a Hefeweizen. I made a Hefe no so long ago that was too Hefeish with a serious hefe yeast bite. 1.5 years after brewing it I popped open my last bottle a couple of days ago. It was clear as a lager and delicious. I prefer the hefe yeast to be in the background and not on the main stage. I haven't tried polycar but yeah if you want a Kristallweizen, don't want to wait for months for the beer to drop clear at room or cellar temps, and don't have access to filtration, then go ahead and crash cool it and add a finning of your choice.

It may be to late for this particular brew, but I have gotten a wheat beer to clear really well, but adding a highly flocculating yeast (like wlp002) at the tail end of the active fermentation period to help pull down the wheat beer yeast

Back