Clearing question-Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmcpsu33

Reaction score
I transferred a one gallon batch of mead into a secondary and added the appropriate amounts of sorbate and a campden tablet. This was one week ago and it isnt clearing at all. I will be checking the gravity over the next few days to check for any continued fermentation but my question is- Is it possible that the fermentation is complete and needs more time to clear? Also, is clearing directly related to complete or halted fermtation?

An active fermentation would have yeast still in suspension yes. Were signs of fermentation gone when you racked it? or was it still going full bore when you added the sorbate?

Since it's only a gallon size, have you tried tossing it in the refrigerator for a few days?

There's just a ton of reasons it's not clearing - but most of all it takes time. I would not expect a week to do it. When I clear meads I expect weeks/months for them to really clear well. You will absolutely hear about people that say their mead clears in a week. I don't know if they have lower expectations than I do, or if I'm just living wrong.

When you say you racked and added sorbate - was it done when you did that? Or did you expect the sorbate to stop the fermentation? Because it will not stop an active ferment. A better way to go is to be sure the ferment has stopped, see the mead drop clear, and then worry about stabilization (and additional sweetening if desired.)

Anyway, there's a lot of your story we don't know but now you have additional information. Share some more information back if you want more thorough answers. Knowing more specifics about your process will allow us to help you more.

I always wait a minimum of two months before bottling, assuming the mead has cleared — Traditionals usually only take this long, with melomels sometimes taking longer (4-6 months).

I used the campden tablet and sorbate to halt the fermentation. I wanted the mead to have some remaining sweetness and it tasted great.
Once I racked it onto the tablet and sorbate, there was no signs of fermentation. A week ago it was at 1.024 and now it's at 1.020. I expected it to continue a little after adding the chemicals. I just wasn't sure if it wasn't clearing due to it still fermenting or if maybe I didn't wait long enough, or maybe it needed more chemicals which I want to avoid. I'm afraid the sorbate may change the flavor of it.

Cold crash it in addition to the chemicals. Cold helps drop some yeasties out of suspension in the liquid.

Gelatin will clear it right up in about 36 hours if you really want it to clear for some reason. Otherwise you can ride it out but it could take a long time.

Remember that sorbate doesn't kill yeast; it just keeps it from reproducing so it's only effective in finished and clear wines and meads.

It sounds like you stressed the yeast pretty good if it's still dropping, but inhibited some reproduction. Just watch for signs (bad odors) of stressed yeast to make sure the mead isn't ruined.

Back