Clearing a fruit beer - Brett or Pectic enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristotelian

Reaction score
I pulled a gallon of wort out of a farmhouse ale to secondary on top of some mulberries. I froze the mulberries, then poured boiling water over them to sanitize and muddle them to get them into the jug. The juice looked beautiful going in but turned cloudy within a few hours. It has been about a week and has not cleared up. I am thinking about adding pectic enzyme in the form of papaya skin, but read that pectic enzyme is bad for head retention in beer. Another thought was adding brett (Orval or JP dregs) on the theory that "brett eats everything". Or just live with the cloudy beer and hope it clears up when conditioned and chilled. Thoughts?

Pectic enzyme will work. Not sure about the brett, but it's a protein haze, so probably not something yeast will readily consume. Next time dip the fruit in star-san rather than using boiling liquid to avoid setting the pectin. Never heard of head issues w/pectic enzyme, but I have only used it in NE style cider where I heat a portion to dissolve/sanitize the extra sugars.

It'll most likely clear up over time and with cold crashing. I've used pectic in most of my ciders and one of my ales. I didn't notice a head retention issue. You could use Brett but then your also introducing other flavors it'll create while it eats its way through the brew. So if that's something your ok with then it should help eat a good amount of it.

Back