Clear Wort, Clear Beer - Colbreak Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eucrid

Reaction score
So I was reading Yoopers article on the front page (if you haven't read it do, its very informative) and it mentions the formation of cold break and how a quick cool causes it to happen. My question is how quickly do you need to cool 5 gals to get a good cold break to occur?

I'm interested also. I assume at wort chiller speed @ 15 min boil to 65 but would like to hear from a true pro.

Seems nobody really knows. Guess its one of those things I'll have to figure out myself.

Complex question. I go from 212 to 80 in 20 minutes or so and get a very strong cold break. I use finings so clarity hasn't been an issue for me, knock on wood, in a long time. I'm more concerned about infection risk than cold break when cooling.

I leave the break material in the fermentor, I am of the belief that the break material is actually a good yeast nutrient. Old-school thought is to avoid having break material in your wort like the plague.

It takes me 1 hour to chill 2 gallons in the kitchen sink w/bottles of ice.

Gonna try a big bucket w/more ice next time.

I'm a newb too but I know that making your own wort chiller is totally worth it. it only costs about $20-30 its easy to make and chills 5gal of wort in 20-30 mins.

I did a batch where it took 36 hours to reach pitching temperature and I still got clear beer. Fast chilling isn't nearly as necessary as most people think. I've also seen cold break form just after the boiling wort was begun to chill. The temperature couldn't have dropped more than 10 degrees when it happened.

My immersion chiller is fairly slow, taking about 45 minutes to hit 90. The end product beer is always very clear, so I'm on the fence about cold break importance. That said my understanding is to cool to pitch within 20 minutes. As others have mentioned, chilling is important for infection as well. Kyle

Back