Clear Sight Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch101st

Reaction score
I am looking for a source for a sight tube to put in line of my recirculation line...primarily on the "out" on my MLT valve

Any suggestions?

If I understand your question, maybe just take a small section of silicone tubing with two hose barb connectors and stick it in-line?

9176T32 is 3/4" OD, 5/8" ID. You could use the 1/2" OD stuff also, but then you're down to 3/8" ID.

That's a great idea, even with these fairly expensive compression fittings (5182K815) its cheaper than buying a pre-assembled in-line sight glass.

A Tri Clamp borosilicate glass sanitary sight glass is $66 bucks at St Pats. That would be hard to beat as even the buying two 3/4" swageloks would be at least half that.

A Tri Clamp borosilicate glass sanitary sight glass is $66 bucks at St Pats. That would be hard to beat as even the buying two 3/4" swageloks would be at least half that.

I had a section of 1/2" polycarbonate in a hose similar to Bobby's suggestion.
I'm re-doing the plumbing and looking real seriously at the ones from St Pats.

The OP will still need two clamps and two Tri-clove to barb (or other) connectors, so the total price goes up a bit from $66.

Ed

Those SS compression fittings are pretty steep and aren't far from the St. Pats option.

Since we are using a plastic (polycarbonate) sight glass, why wouldn't we use the polypropylene compression fitting on it instead of stainless?

They are rated to 215F and cost $2.62 each instead of $26.91.

I'm all for SS bling, but I think I can overlook it in this case!

EDIT: I've ordered the set up and will report how it goes.

Latest posts

Back