Clear Raspberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlylebrew

Reaction score
I made the Rapberry wheat from Midwest a few months back, and I have to say the kit taste very good. My only problem is it has to be the clearest beer I have made to date, which is pi$$ing me off because wheats are supposed to be cloudy. Have other beers I wish were this clear, but alas not this one.

Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong? Steeped the grains @ 160 for 30 mins. Did a full boil for an hour. Beer spent three weeks in primary and was bottled with flavoring added to bottling bucket.

Thanks,

Ty

I find the wheat extracts don't really give the cloudiness that you get when going AG or partial mashes. But if it tastes good, why worry about what it looks like?

My AG Cherry Wheat (50/50 Wheat/Barley), is one of the clearest beers I've done with US-05, and in only two weeks.
I'm wondering if there might be some interaction with the fruit that could lead to clear beer?

I guess I don't really care what it looks like, but if I ever decide to enter my beers into brew competitions I wouldn't want to get marked down for a clear wheat.. Not that I have any intentions of doing this anytime if ever, but it would be nice to know what the reason for it being so clear is.

If I add the last little bit in the bottle the yeast comes in to cloud it up, but still is a strange phenomenon. Two different IPA's I've done that should be clear have been cloudy as can be.. Still tasted great, so ohhhh well..

Back