Clear Primaries are evil (imho)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_brewer

Reaction score
So I had to step up production recently, and rather than drive 40 minutes both ways on the weekend to the LHBS I know and love I went to the one half close to work after I got off on Friday. There I bought 2 primary buckets that are sort of a cloudy plastic.

LHBS guy assured me that these were much better than any bucket I had at home and that I was going to love them. I assured him that I was not, but that I needed primaries right then, so I would settle.

Here are my issues:
1. While the volume is marked on the side there is no clear delineation for 23L, I soon fixed this with my permanent purple sharpie (which I use to label my beer atm), but it still pissed me off as I was adding water to the mark and drifted off. I am betting it is really hard to un-dilute it if you f up.

2. He cut the holes for the bung/ airlock in the top. This is not a problem, except that he had to cut them because the company claims the buckets to be self-venting. I don't want it to be self-venting. I want there to be that little water barrier there. Fortunately they are not self-venting really (quite a few people who bought them apparently had nasty blow-out, cover popping incidents. This is good, because I didn't really feel like working at not freaking out about my beer.

and the biggest thing that is bugging me:

3. I can see what is happening! I was perfectly happy lying in bed (my brew room is the jacuzzi room off of my bedroom) and hearing the little "blurp, blurp" of the airlock and knowing that my beer was fermenting. Now I keep having to get up and go watch my yeast. And the container isn't clear enough to actually see anything.

I am very annoyed. I always hate it when I knew I should have gone to the other LHBS... grumble.

Watching the yeast work is better than what is on TV a lot of the time. I have better bottles and clear carboys to ferment in. Lots of visable action.

If you don't want to see the action, wrap the fermenters with duct tape :)

True... however the hubby recently decided he liked the homebrew, so my pipeline actually collapsed...

I have been reading all the all-grain/ extract brewing info today. Going to make the hubby build me all sorts of DIY equipment and make the jump... I think.

Any recommendation on a good first brew with what is available at BL? I am currently enjoying the Cooper's pilsner and hubby the IPA (both brewmaster series.)

A nice APA or IPA can be made with what they carry. They'll also crush the grain for you if you ask. Be sure to go to the Coaker Meadow store to get WY1056 liquid yeast to make it with. Their selection of yeast isn't near good enough otherwise.

A nice APA or IPA can be made with what they carry. They'll also crush the grain for you if you ask. Be sure to go to the Coaker Meadow store to get WY1056 liquid yeast to make it with. Their selection of yeast isn't near good enough otherwise.

Did I miss something?

Sorry... I ran OT in my own post because Boo Boo is from my area, so he knows what is in the LHBS. Since I have been flirting with the idea of moving away from kits I thought I would take the chance to ask what we have around...

Sorry for the random slide there... :mug:

Sorry... I ran OT in my own post because Boo Boo is from my area, so he knows what is in the LHBS. Since I have been flirting with the idea of moving away from kits I thought I would take the chance to ask what we have around...

Sorry for the random slide there... :mug:

Cool, cool. I get it now.

Back