Clear fermenter and yeast haze (or lack there of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WABOBO

Reaction score
So I have a few brews under my belt. Last week I had something new happen. I transferred the wort to the fermenter, and pitched the yeast. 12 hours later, I checked on it, and instead of the normal snow globe effect with a cloudy wort and particles flying everywhere, I had these blobs and an overly clear wort:

unnamed (3).jpg

After 24 hrs, it cleaned up a little bit, but was very much still "blobby":

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

After 5 days:

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Now, I'm not overly concerned - there is tons of activity in the airlock, and you can see bubbles coming up through the beer/wort. But, I'm really confused. All of my beers to date have been hazy and cloudy, not clear like this. The only thing I did differently, is I tried a new technique. I have a Brewzilla, after the boil I reduced heat to 65C, steeped some hops for 30 minutes in a big nylon hop bag, then pumped/recirculated everything into the centre of the bag (filtering out some of the solids). The wort didn't look any different from my normal beers, but I'm guessing because I filtered hot/cold break and everything else through the nylon bag, maybe that is the cause the clear beer? I always thought the yeast caused a hazy effect, and I'm wondering if something may be wrong with the yeast.

My question: Is it bad that the beer is fermenting while the solution is clear? This seems out of the ordinary - I'm used to a hazy fermentor.

Here is the grain bill:

4 lb (1.8 kg) Pilsner malt
4 lb (1.8 kg) Maris Otter malt
1 lb (454 g) Vienna malt
8 oz (227 g) Victory malt

Last edited:
That’s really interesting! I can’t say I’ve ever seen that but I also ferment in buckets so I don’t think I ever would have seen it. Let us know how it turns out.

That’s really interesting! I can’t say I’ve ever seen that but I also ferment in buckets so I don’t think I ever would have seen it. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, I thought it was odd. It's still fermenting - the air lock smells great. I'll keep you posted on the results!

It looks like what I'd expect to see if the cold break happened in the fermenter for some reason.

You may have just discovered a hip new mutant yeast! That really looks unusual. I'm cheering for you. If you've got bubbles and it smells good, I'll bet it'll be fine. Keep us posted though. I'm pretty interested in this one.

Thank you for the responses, everyone. Things are still looking up.

We are at 2 weeks in the fermentor right now. There are still tiny bubbles rising up from the solution, the airlock smells good, and there is still a layer of yeast floating on top. I keep the fermentor in the basement shower in case there are any overflows - but it is also a cold environment, and I find the yeast process takes much longer to do its thing when it is colder.

Looks almost like you have a mother in there. A collection of bacteria and yeast used for making acidic beverages like Kombucha, although they need oxygen to produce the acid.

Can you take a sample from the spigot and see where the gravity is, and taste it? If you are over 5 days, you should be done.

I say all is ok. I had two or three yeast do that. First time I freaked some like you. All beers came out great.

Back