Cleaning Wort Chiller . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkLP44

Reaction score
I accidentally left my wort chiller submerged in a cleaner for about a week and now it is pretty dull. Any suggestions on cleaning it back up? . . . or is it ruined?

Assuming its a copper coil immersion chiller. Add 1 gallon of vinegar and 1 cup of salt to your kettle. Fill kettle and boil for 15-20 mins. It'll be shinier than you've ever seen it.

Yep it's a copper coil immersion chiller. I left it in a pbw solution. I tried to clean it with star san and it somewhat cleaned off all of the corrosion, but it still isn't shiny. I'll give the vinegar/salt solution a try . . . thanks.

Starsan isn't a cleaner... I don't worry too much about my chiller being clean other than not having any crud collected on it like hops or other mess from the previous boil. When I use my chiller, I take an empty bucket and fill it with the 'first runnings' from my chiller as I use it. When I'm finished chilling, I move the chiller into that bucket of warm water and let it sit for a while to dissolve and remove any sticky crud from the boil. It probably wouldn't hurt to put some oxiclean in that bucket also. As I'm cleaning up, I pull the chiller out and remove any crud that might still be on it with the garden hose and put it away...

Back