Cleaning with oxyclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefrayser

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle. When I do I use my bottling bucket for cleaning and sanitizing. My question is can I use Oxyclean to clean everything? How much do you guys use? Also are there different types of Oxyclean? I think I have the stuff with the yellow cap. I rinse everything after every use and Im not to concerned with it being dirty but I still clean again just to be safe. I use Io Star for sanitizer for the time being. It came with my kit. As soon as it runs out I will switch to Starsan.

Oxyclean is a great cleaner. I use it to clean almost everything. Kettles, carboys, racking equipment, bottles, tubing...everything.
I even clean bottles before bottling on bottling day. It also is great removing labels off old bottles. After a few hours, labels are almost falling off by themselves.
For bottles, I simply add 50 bottles to a rolling cooler with half a scoop of oxy for two days, and it sits (the bottles have already been used, and are rinsed after drinking). On bottle day, they are rinsed very good, then sterilized with starsan with a vinator. Before brewing and after brewing my kettles are soaked and cleaned with oxy.
I simply love the stuff. I use both kids. Most of the time, I use the one with the yellow lid like you( easy to find at lowes). That one does have a mild scent, but with a very good rinse, I haven't had any issues.

Back