Cleaning with GrainFather Cleaner, Alcoholic Sanitizer and Chemipro San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning / Evening..

I've just started to get all my equipment delivered, readying for my first brew with the GrainFather!

I'm still not 100% sure, even after reading all the other posts here and elsewhere, about the actual sanitising side of things, so I have 4 questions on this..

I know we need to clean everything before, as we go, and afterwards.

But once we have done the boil I believe we need to go into the next step of making sure everything going forwards is sanitised.
In various videos, I've seen people spraying what I guess is a sanitiser onto their equipment like the hoses, test tubes, fermenters etc
- 1) I'm guessing they are using a Sanitiser in a bottle for this?
2) Is it the Chemipro San that I should be using for this part - just spray it on and it'll basically dissolve by itself and not need to rinse it off, and it won't affect the batch?

For regular cleaning, I'm planning on using the Grainfather Cleaner that came with the equipment - 3) this is fine on the hoses too I assume?

Then, finally, 4) what is this Alcoholic Sanitizer for? Should I just be drinking this?

Thanks for any advise!

Michael

1) I sure hope it's sanitizer they are spraying. It should be.

2) Chemipro San, Star San or something similar.

Edit: Make sure to dilute Chemipro San with the recommended amount of water. Instead of spraying down our fermenter you can mix up some sanitizer in it and shake it around.

Make sure the parts you're sanitizing stay wet for whatever amount of time the manufacturer recommends.
Pour out any excess sanitizer and you're done, you don't have to remove all the foam. Unless you live in the EU, I believe they didn't like the "no rinse" part of Star San over there.

3) If the cleaner came with the machine I'd imagine it's fine to use for all parts that needs cleaning.

4) It depends. If it's alcohol made and marketed for sanitizing and not drinking I think it might be made from something else than drinkable ethanol and/or have some additives that make it rather unhealthy to drink.

Edit: I'd be worried about the alcohol sanitizer making the beer smell like booze.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, sounds good to me.
I live in the EU, but I have been watching the outside of EU videos on using no-rinse, so I'm happy to stick with that I think!

Back