Cleaning the bottom of my Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last Sat. I bottled my first batch of cider, and racked the second batch from my Ale Pale to my carboy. Before reusing the carboy, I washed and sanitized it, but after washing it I noticed there are little 'hash mark' type ridges around the outer edge of the bottom of the carboy. (link inch long ////// ridges in a circle)

I noticed that there was still trub/settlement/yeast/or whatever stuck in these ridges. I don't have a bottle brush long enough to reach the bottom of my carboy, so I used a washcloth sloshed around in there, but could not get the tiny bits of sediment out of these ridges. I finally sanitized, and racked on top of it.

My question is: Do all carboys have these ridges? Or should I get my next bottles from somewhere eles? I'm going to get a carboy brush either way.

PS. I know I could probably let it soak in OxiClean for a day, but didn't have any, or the time to wait.

I think mine have ridges, but a carboy brush will get any gunk out, as would that Oxy clean soak...

Oh...and this may sound crazy, but the stuff wasn't on the outside of the carboy, was it?

MA_Brewer said:
I think mine have ridges, but a carboy brush will get any gunk out, as would that Oxy clean soak...

Oh...and this may sound crazy, but the stuff wasn't on the outside of the carboy, was it?
No, I thought of that and tried scratching at it with my finger nail. It was definitely on the inside. It was that peanut butter like stuff you get on the bottom.

I use a nice high volume sprayer that attaches to my faucet. It's really just a 5' line of toilet style hose that connects to my faucet and has an outdoor style nozzle on it. I crank up the pressure and spray away. Might not get it, but it's better than just a rinse or a standard sink sprayer.

Also, if you have the sprayer bottle washer that hooks to the faucet, I can get some serious spray pressure if I open up the hot and cold all the way and flip the carboy over and wash it with the bottle sprayer. It's an awesome handy tool and I don't bottle anymore. I keep it around for other things.

Back