Quantcast

Cleaning the blowoff tube

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hefeweizen

Reaction score
I just took off my blowoff tube and put on the airlock. I am looking at this tube and it is filled with dried yeast, foam and other stuff that blew off. I started running water through it to see what would come out but it didn't do too much. Any tips on cleaning this gunk out?

Thanks,

Ron

Alabama Brewer

Reaction score
What is the inside diameter? I use a 1"ID (1 1/4" OD) clear hose which is the perfect size for the carboy neck.

To clean this one I put a piece of wire throught the hose, then tie it to my carboy brush and pull it back through. Hot water helps too.

Of course the best advice I can give too is that I always clean mine within minutes of removal from the primary.

Hope this helps.

Brentk14

Reaction score
I just had to do the same thing on wed. I wasnt expecting needing one on this batch so the problem I had was all I had for a blowoff was my racking cane. That is about 1/4'' ID. It actually worked for a blowoff tube, but afterward i had a lot of crap in it. I kept running hot water through it and wasnt getting anywhere. Well I had to clean one of my kegs last night too so after I put hot water and TSP in the keg and pressurized it i ran it through my picnic tap which a also put my racking cane into. The hot water, pressure, and tsp cleaned it all right out.

njnear76

Reaction score
AFAJ Brew Guy said:
Couldn't one also just sake it in a solution of OxyClean as well?
That is what I do. Don't use a wire brush. You will scratch the tubing, possibly causing an infection later on.

OP
H

hefeweizen

Reaction score
It is 3/8 inch ID...all I had at the time. It is soaking right now so hopefully this will break some of the gunk up. Thanks for the responses.

-Ron

Brentk14

Reaction score
Do you keg? If so, the way i did it worked great. Plus it was clean afterwards.

loopmd

Reaction score
hefeweizen said:
It is 1/4 inch ID...all I had at the time. It is soaking right now so hopefully this will break some of the gunk up. Thanks for the responses.

-Ron

You should also do what Alabama said. It works like a charm.

Loop

OP
H

hefeweizen

Reaction score
Brentk14 said:
Do you keg? If so, the way i did it worked great. Plus it was clean afterwards.
This is my first batch so no kegging yet.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Do you have a bottle washer by any chance? or even a high pressure setting on a garden hose nozzle. If you take a few small pieces of paper towel wad them up to fit in the hose and use water pressure to push them through one at a time, most of the gunk will come out of the hose. Then I typically soak in oxyclean or a mild bleach water solution and rinse.

Latest posts