Cleaning SS Brew kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Whats the best way to do this? I normally just scrub it with hot water after brew day and hours before my next one. What is the proper way?

If it gets nasty I'll use bar keepers friend. Otherwise hot water and a scrub pad.

I've always been told to not use a scrub pad on SS due to it scratching, have I been worrying over nothing?

I'm no expert, but it stands to reason that scratches in the kettle won't hurt it too much (You are boiling and therefore sanitizing) but don't make it better either. I don't use abrasives on my kettle.

Post brew I soak in Oxiclean, rinse, then Bar keeper's friend, and very thorough rinse. Maybe it's overkill, but...

Basic cleaning after each brew is soap and water with a scour pad.

If there is a bit of build up that can't be removed with that technique, fill the brew kettle with water and PBW and let soak over night.

That's it.

I use PBW and a soft scrub pad, followed by a water rinse.

I've always been told to not use a scrub pad on SS due to it scratching, have I been worrying over nothing?

I know Stout does not recommend using a scrubby/scouring pad as it can scratch the kettle which then needs to be re passivated to prevent rusting.

The caveat is that you should use a scrubby when using bar keepers friend which passivates for you.

I clean mine with a little PBW & a Dobie brand scrubber. Then rinse well, towel dry & allow to finish air drying. To what I've read on here, that's enough to passivate stainless steel. Works great for me. The kettle still shines like new at some 4 years old. :mug:

Latest posts

Back