Cleaning - Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeronious

Reaction score
So i have been working on my rig for a couple of weeks now and its finally ready to brew ! the brew day will be this weekend and now that im so close to the actual thing happening, im starting to freak out and have some questions in mind ...

1. whats the difference between Cleaning - Sanitizing ?

2. i have Chempro: Oxi (http://goo.gl/gDRNzf) on the way and what should i use it for ? and how ...

3. do i need to get something more ?

1. cleaning = getting rid of visual dirt, sanitising = getting rid of microbes. Sanitising without propper cleaning is no good.
2. oxygen based cleaner is good for cleaning organic matter. It does some amount of sanitising too but you really need something else for sanitising.
3. You should get a fast acting no rinse sanitiser such as starsan or iodophor

skopje! i lived there for a couple of years. I miss it a lot sometimes.

do you have a homebrew shop in skopje?

aidan tnx for clarifying !

the problem is that i cannot find anything here that fits that criteria ...

this is the closest thing i could find, but it needs washing after the sanitizing.

progmac Здраво !
you made my day :D

we still dont have anything close to a homebrew shop and that is what its killing me !

got the instruments shipped from UK, buying some hardware from Belgrade and the ingredients from a craft brewery in Prishtina :D

i build the whole rig by my self though !

aidan tnx for clarifying !

the problem is that i cannot find anything here that fits that criteria ...

this is the closest thing i could find, but it needs washing after the sanitizing.

That might work but it is not no-rinse. No rinse is so much more convienient to work with and you don't risk re-contaminating with water. as LordUlrich mentioned, iodophor is commonly used in dairy industry.

ok so i think i might be onto something here :D

i scoured all the shops and even though i couldn't find IODOPHOR few of them suggested i try IZOSAN G. couldn't find any info about it on English (the producer is from Croatia), but from what i found out it is chlorine in powder form.

they use it to disinfect every single thing under the sun, starting from water and all the way to rooms and stuff.
after 20 minutes it evaporates and it is a no-rinse one.

my only concern is that the chlorine will leave so impact on the taste ...

i also find few examples of it being used in the dairy industries.

should i go with this one ?

I would think that is on the same lines of using bleach, which works well, but you have to rinse enough that you can't smell it anymore. Not sure I wouldn't rinse that stuff too.
isn't bleach availible? not a "no-rinse" but still works.
I would say try some of that Ixosan G. and let the stuff dry for the 20 minutes and then give it a smell. If you use a bottle or a carboy I would think if anything left you would be able to smell it pretty easy.
Just a thought.

ok so i think i might be onto something here :D

i scoured all the shops and even though i couldn't find IODOPHOR few of them suggested i try IZOSAN G. couldn't find any info about it on English (the producer is from Croatia), but from what i found out it is chlorine in powder form.

they use it to disinfect every single thing under the sun, starting from water and all the way to rooms and stuff.
after 20 minutes it evaporates and it is a no-rinse one.

my only concern is that the chlorine will leave so impact on the taste ...

i also find few examples of it being used in the dairy industries.

should i go with this one ?
I think you're going to have to use chlorine bleach as your sanitizer. All the USA homebrewers used to do this. Check out John Palmer's info here -- http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html --I would just go with a liquid product rather than a powder.

Now, for cleaning (and it does sanitize to a degree), i searched the original product you posted and it is perfect for that application. It is basically the same thing as what we call OxiClean on this forum.

http://www.brupaks.com/chemipro oxi.htm

It should work just fine. Chlorine does off gas pretty easily. I used a sanitizer that had an acid and chlorine it worked but was nasty stuff. Never had an off flavor issue.

tnx all for the infos !

spend the rest of the day looking for an alternatives and what i got was this...
a neighbor that makes vine (not home brewing though..) said that he uses baking soda + Citric acid (Limontus) to wash the copper vessels that he has. for sanitizing he suggested that i can dilute medicinal pharmacy bough alcohol to around 40-50% and then use that, but i think that this will ge quite pricey (the sanitizing idea) :(

because of this and all the things that you noted above, i decided to go with the granddad of all Mr. Bleach !!
but wait ! there is more that i need to ask :D
the one i found is called Super Bleach since it contains 15% sodium hypochlorite, so is that normal and should i dose it normally ?
and one more thing is that it is with lemon fragrance. does that matter ?

If using bleach I would use just normal bleach, no fragrance, you want to avoid rinsing post sanitation as much as possible.

I would stick with the oxygen based cleaner. Wine and beer have very different cleaning needs. Beer is heavy in proteins which wine does not have in the same amount of protein.

and i finally got my bleach :D

lets see now how it will turn up !

tank you all for the info and support ! you guys rock !

progmac Здраво !
You made my day :d

we still dont have anything close to a homebrew shop and that is what its killing me !

Got the instruments shipped from uk, buying some hardware from belgrade and the ingredients from a craft brewery in prishtina :d

i build the whole rig by my self though !

Изговори,изговори.
Не ти треба приштина кога се имаш во скопје :d

Back