Cleaning plastic Ale Pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
I racked to the secondary a few days ago and cleaned my primary very good with mild dish soap and hot water (twice). After drying and sitting to air out for a few days, it still smells like my beer did.?.?.?.? How do I remove the fermented beer smell? Will my next batch pick up any of the "flavor"?

I thought maybe a light bleach solution and then wash again. Slight discolor as well from the fermentation. How can I get the "brownish" tinge out of the primary?

I haven't had primary buckets stain, but to get the smell out I just soak overnight in a light bleach and water solution. Works every time, just make sure you rinse REALLY well.

I would go with the bleach option as well. You might try Clorox Clean-up it is a soap with bleach, you can also get store brand, spray it all on the inside then 'scrub' with a sponge.

Like bradsul said rinse really well.

I also use bleach to clean my fermentation bucket, but it doesn't competely remove the smell of the beer. I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen no negative effects of the odor.

Cheers,
Ken

Thanks Ken..... I was worried with the "odor" of beer in the primary. I guess bleach it is...... just rinse well.
Thanks guys.

Don't use anything abrasive (even the back side of a kitchen sponge is too much). Scrub with a soft cloth or soft sponge if you must. Use OxyClean to reduce the staining. Bleach should neutralize any lingering smell.

Brewmaster's Bible says a cup of bleach to 5 gallons of water and soak overnight.

I use 5 tablespoons of Straight A and 5 gallons of water. I've never really had any odor or staining problems with my primaries.

I use bleach some times and a lot of the time i use iodine. I think the key is make sure the water you are using is very hot. Seems to permiate the plastic if its real hot.

My buckets always stink and I've never had a bad batch. Try as you may and you'll never get that smell out, don't worry about it! As long as its clean!!!!!

After I dry hopped for my APA I had strong, sweet hoppy smell in my primary. I took the hottest water I could get from the tap and added 3Tbsp One- Step for 3 hours. No more smell. Good luck! :) RR

I had the same problem after my 5 gal batch of mead.. I just figured I would live with it.. since then I have done about 5 smaller 1 gallon batches and used my primary for sanitizing solution.. I noticed the other day that the smell is gone.. doubt it was the Star-san but you never know.. I just assumed it was the soaking of warm water for a few hours at a time that did it.. YMMV

SpamDog

Back