Cleaning out my picnic cooler made easy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsleftofyou

Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One of my least favorite parts of the brew day BY FAR is getting the spent grain out of my 72 quart picnic cooler. I always spill at least a little and it's just a pain in general. After seeing a BIAB thread I had an idea - what if I lined the cooler with a large straining bag? I see that Midwest has 2'x3' ones that should work. Then I can just dump/rinse the bag after sparging and rinse the cooler - done!

I've read that a lot of people do that, and were I to move from BIAB to having a mash tun I'd probably do the same thing. Its very nice being able to just pull the bag and be done.

Depending on the dimensions of the bag, it may not fit well enough for your purposes, but if you know someone with a sewing machine its really easy to make your own custom sized bag. That's what I did. 5 minutes on my sister's sewing machine after a trip to buy the material, and I was set - I actually got three bags out of the one curtain :)

Back