Cleaning Non-Cut Sanke Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That should do it, use HOT water & when you're ready to clean out, feel free to use a long handled nylon bristled brush (carboy brush will do the trick if bent a bit) to get stubborn crap off.

Overnight full soak in PBW, good rinsing job and then a solid swish of star san???

just worried about krausen ring

I use Oxyclean and soak overnight. I once let the yeast dry and I used lye overnight to clean it out. Either way, I rince well.
I sanitize with a gallon of water and boil it for ten minutes on brew day.

Cool... thanks.

Yeah... after all of this... I think I'm just gonna cut the top off and figure out some kind of lock-down gasket. I think it'll be a lot easier to just take the top off and scrub it.

Cleaning your un-modified sanke fermenter is a snap with:

3 scoops of oxyclean
fill with hot water
sit for a day or two
cursory scrub with a carboy brush
inspect with these for peace of mind:
kegfermenterinspectionts.jpg

Cool... thanks.

Yeah... after all of this... I think I'm just gonna cut the top off and figure out some kind of lock-down gasket. I think it'll be a lot easier to just take the top off and scrub it.

I don't think you really need to clamp it, just as long as you have something covering it you should be fine. I know several people just sit the bucket lid on their primary fermenters instead of pushing it down tight, or just set a piece of plexi-glass over it.

I pull the spear out, add water and scrub the krausen line with a bent carboy brush, flush with water and shake until it the water runs clear, replace the spear and soak in PBW overnight. Pump the PBW out, pump in some starsan, shake, sit, pump the star san out and leave it until I need it.

How's this for an idea....

Fill about 1/4 of the way with hot water... toss it on one of my 32 tip jet burners and let the things scream steam for 15 minutes or so.

That wouldn't neccessarily clean off the krausen ring though would it?

PBW is only supposed to be used up to 160 degrees I think

hmmm... this is going to be a royal buttload of PWB... to fill a keg...

1 oz per gallon... 15 gallons...

yikes

I recall hearing the creator of PBW saying that for soaking applications you only need 1-2 Tbsp per 5 gal hot water. The 1oz/gal is for CIP applications.

Anyhoo, as mentioned, an overnite soak in hot PBW will knock off everything, but i've made a pressure washer for blasting the crud off before the soak. It's a brass sweeper nozzle with a piece of 1/8"x12" brass tubing soldered in.

Back