Cleaning neck of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
So, I finished cleaning in preparation of brew day tomorrow. I noticed the neck of my carboy is all marked up from the metal handle of the carboy brush. Has anyone had this happen before?Will this easily clean off or is there something special I need to do? I haven't tried anything as of yet, I haven't had a chance. I thought the brush may make it worse and this would be a good place to throw it out there.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

carboy.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the deposited metal, it's not going anywhere, and I don't know how you'd safely remove it anyway.

fwiw, if you take one of these...

3131bvPb1JL.jpg

and make a radial slice through it from the ID out through the OD, you can slide the shank of your carboy brush inside and stuff the bung into the neck. The brush will still move freely without scarring the glass or leaving metal behind...

Cheers!

If a carboy has lots of dried on junk, I fill it with water/PBW or Oxiclean mix.
Let it sit overnight and very little brushing is required. I save the PBW mix in a bucket and use it over a few times.

Back