cleaning nasty ring in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davick57

Reaction score
Hi guys!!

I have the double blast bottle washer that comes in handy when cleaning my carboy along with bottles.

I just cant seem to get the nasty ring around my carboy where the foam sat off.

Does anyone have a good idea on what to use? or should i buy a cleaner chemical from my Local Brew Shop?

Thanks

:mug:

1/2 scoop of oxyclean free. Fill with hot water. Junk is gone in the morning.

Soak with unscented Oxyclean, then drain all but a little tiny bit of liquid ans stuff a small rag through the top. (I use a maybe 8x8 inch piece of an old tshirt.) Tip the jug on its side so that the rag comes In to contact with the ring and slowly rock the jug back and forth so that the rag gently scrubs the ring away. It should be good and loosened up from the oxyclean soak.

If you have plastic carboy, which I'm assuming. I put a scoop of generic oxyclean (Awesome Clean/Dollar Tree Brand), and 1 gallon of warm water.

Then I use a solid carboy bung (without the hole drilled) and place it upside down in my sink or garage. Make sure the cleaner is in contact with the ring. Every couple hours I give it a shake. By the next day everything is gone.

Rinse thoroughly, sanitize and store for next use.

Fill your carboy about one-third full with lukewarm water. Add three drops of unscented Dawn. Invert the carboy in the sink so the krausen ring is submerged. Next morning a carboy brush will wipe the krausen off.

I rinse the yeast & other stuff That's loose off,then dump in 3TBSP of PBW & fill with water to the top of the crud ring. Stir well to dissolve & place lid/cap on loosely overnight if needed. Usually works in a few hours. Then clean lightly to be sure all the crud falls off. Then drain,rinse & sanitize before draining & storing.

Back