Cleaning my kegging stuff before filling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally got my kegging setup here today, but I have a question before I proceed. In this book I have, "The Brewmaster's Bible", there is a quite detailed procedure that seems overly complicated. Would it suffice to simply rinse with sanitizer, purge the beer line with the sanitizer and then rinse with water? Thanks.

-AJ

rinse everything really good. then put a half gallon of a sanitizer such as starsan in the keg. hit it with a little co2. shake it up.. i roll it arround on the floor for a minute then set upside down for a bit. then pour the sanitizer through the tap your going to pour with. this cleans the dip tube and the line/faucet. fill and go.

Was the keg new or used? If it was a used soda keg you should replace the o-rings and take everything apart and clean with Oxyclean at least for the first time. I got mine for Christmas with used kegs and took it all apart and cleaned it with Oxyclean then used Star San to sanitize and assemble everything. You can have crud in the posts and poppets area. You wouldn't want to ruin a whole keg just to save a half hour of cleaning would you?

A lot of times after a batch of beer there will be crud in the posts, so I take it all apart and soak in oxyclean, rinse really good, then hit everything with star san and lube all those seals.

I have not been as diligent in cleaning my beer lines. I usually flush with starsan. Anyone have a word on that? Oxyclean flush, followed by water flush, then star san?

Thanks for the replies, but I did not notice them until just now and I kegged my beer last night. I think I am good, though. The kegs are used, but they came with a brand new set of o-rings plus a replacement set for each keg. I rinsed the keg out with water in case there was any big junk in there. Then I did thorough sanitizing with start san and flushed the beer line with it. I dumped it out, rinsed all the star san foam out and then filled the keg. I also made sure to rinse the lid with star san before putting it on. I know I didn't rinse with oxyclean, but I should still be good, right? Thanks again.

-AJ

well, first the starsan is not to be rinsed off. you can let it drip, semi-dry, if you wish. but it needs to be ph of 3 or less and wet on the surface 30-60 seconds for the sanitizing action. the foam is a mess when you fill the vessel, as it comes out in fun shapes. but in NO WAY HARMFUL! i routinely have up to a quart mix with starters, or anywhere after and never had a problem.

second. enjoy the relatively laborless kegging!

Was the keg new or used? If it was a used soda keg you should replace the o-rings and take everything apart and clean with Oxyclean at least for the first time. I got mine for Christmas with used kegs and took it all apart and cleaned it with Oxyclean then used Star San to sanitize and assemble everything. You can have crud in the posts and poppets area. You wouldn't want to ruin a whole keg just to save a half hour of cleaning would you?

Where were you 2 weeks ago! I purchased 2 new used kegs and cleaned with hot water and Star San. Both of my batches now taste like root beer. If I could do it over, I would have cleaned every part.

I'm thinking of kegging soon and looked into the cleaning process. I found what looks like a good set of youtube clips that uses hot water, starsan, and oxyclean. It seems to be very thorough in the cleaning and sanitizing of the keg and lines. It is a 4 part series:

Part One:
Part Two:
Part Three:
Part Four:

I hope these videos are a good resource, and if so that these help other people besides myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back