Cleaning Mash Tun and Boil Kettle Parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRBrew

Reaction score
What is the recommended cleaning schedule for the parts of you mash tun and boil kettle (ball valve, pipe, hose barb)? I am cleaning and sanitizing after ever brew and wondering if it is overkill. Thanks.

It's overkill...
Sanitizing either of those things is a waste of time.

I rinse my mash run out after every use and the same for the kettle.
The outside of the kettle gets scrubbed and polished every few brews but that's cuz I'm OCD.

Agreed with the above... I wash the tun carefully with hot water and run a couple gallons through it to make sure it's clean.

I rinse out my MLT with the hose. Then I collect some of the hot water from my chiller in the MLT and add PBW. I wash the MLT and anything else that needs washing. After my beer gets to the fermenter I rinse out my BK with the hose, then transfer the PBW water from HLT to BK by way of my pump, thus washing the whole line. Wash out the BK with PBW water, fill HLT with rinse water and transfer to BK again. This whole process takes around 15 minutes. I never sanitize these items. They are all pre-boil/hot side.

Thanks for the replies on this thread. Very helpful. Appreciate it.

Back