Quantcast

Cleaning Krausen from a better bottle....?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys have a method/chemical you use for cleaning krausen off the top of the better bottle? I dont want to scratch it and swirling a wash rag in it is only doing so much. I took a coat hanger and balled up a wash rag around it, zip tied it in place and tried that. Not the best method either.

ANy suggestions would be great. I have it full of bleach water soaking until one of you guys grant me some clarity of thought here.

Thank you in advance. If you're ever in Lexington, KY maybe we can trade some brews.

OP
Hume-ulus

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
Terrific. I'll get right to it...... when I get the time........... :)
Thank you!

iijakii

Reaction score
I soak all of my fermenters overnight in Oxyclean and then rinse them out and they're always perfectly clean.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
I use oxy clean free for an overnight soak, then if needed I drain and swirl a clean washcloth around in it with a small amount of hot water

SpacemanSpiff

Reaction score
Oxyclean plus about a gallon of hot water (don't go hotter than about 140 F). I slap on a carboy cap and let it soak upside down in the sink. Usually it's spotless after about a 20 minute soak.

OP
Hume-ulus

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
Oxyclean...........shake the drap out of it........... got it. Cheaper then PBW at the HBS

joeunc

Reaction score
same as the rest,,,oxyclean, hot water,, shake it all around let it soak overnight. Cleans fine.

Rich_S

Reaction score
Dump out trub.

Fill about 1/3 w/ hot water, shake, drain.

Put in 2 scoops Oxy Clean. Fill with hot water all the way to the top.

Let sit for 2-3 days. Then drain, fill with clean water, shake, drain.

Done.

I never put a brush or washrag or anything else in now. Oxyclean + water + time will get it sparkling clean.

DeafSmith

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Dump out trub.

Fill about 1/3 w/ hot water, shake, drain.

Put in 2 scoops Oxy Clean. Fill with hot water all the way to the top.

Let sit for 2-3 days. Then drain, fill with clean water, shake, drain.

Done.

I never put a brush or washrag or anything else in now. Oxyclean + water + time will get it sparkling clean.
I only use 1 scoop and let sit for a day or two - works fine.

Bruin

Reaction score
I use one of thoe car boy cleaners that has felt pads on hinges attached to a rod, which attaches to a drill. When you spin it, the pads fly outwards using centrifical force and conform to the inside of the bottle. Works great getting those deposits cleaned up. About 20 bucks. If used with care, it will not scratch the plastic. It has a stopper designed to go in a glass carboy neck to center the rod. It is a little small for the better bottle, so I hold it in place at the top of the neck of the BB, so the rod doesn't smack around the neck and possibly scratch it.

Latest posts