Cleaning Kettle Ports

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsmit07

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How often do folks remove their valves, diptubes, whirlpools, (probes, and heating elements for the ebrewers) and clean the kettle ports?

I have three NPT ports on my kettle with various attachments, how often should these be removed and the threads cleaned out?

Thanks for your input.

I mainly BIAB with a 15 Gallon keggle and the valve was a little funky after 12 months (20 batches or so). The drain tube interior was pretty gross as well. I do 6 month intervals now, depending on what mileage the keggle gets. FWIW I also use a hop basket during the boil.

I did not really have sanitary concerns, I noticed some scale/beerstone and wanted to clean that off.

I do a hot pbw recirculation through all of the valves and pumps on my 3v2p rig. For the valves I set them "half open" to at least partially expose the back side of the balls. Whenever I've take a pump head or ball valve apart I've never found anything left to clean...

Cheers!

I BIAB in a SS Brewtech kettle and I take it all apart and clean it all every time. It doesn’t take me that much longer on brew day and I don’t have to worry.

Back