Cleaning Kettle Ports

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

gsmit07

Reaction score
How often do folks remove their valves, diptubes, whirlpools, (probes, and heating elements for the ebrewers) and clean the kettle ports?

I have three NPT ports on my kettle with various attachments, how often should these be removed and the threads cleaned out?

Thanks for your input.

Mr. Vern

Sacred Crow Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mainly BIAB with a 15 Gallon keggle and the valve was a little funky after 12 months (20 batches or so). The drain tube interior was pretty gross as well. I do 6 month intervals now, depending on what mileage the keggle gets. FWIW I also use a hop basket during the boil.

I did not really have sanitary concerns, I noticed some scale/beerstone and wanted to clean that off.

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
I do a hot pbw recirculation through all of the valves and pumps on my 3v2p rig. For the valves I set them "half open" to at least partially expose the back side of the balls. Whenever I've take a pump head or ball valve apart I've never found anything left to clean...

Cheers!

Jhedrick83

Reaction score
I BIAB in a SS Brewtech kettle and I take it all apart and clean it all every time. It doesn’t take me that much longer on brew day and I don’t have to worry.