Cleaning inside of counter flow cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
I went on a 4 year hiatus from brewing. Question is I pulled out my counter flow cooler and discovered there was still some liquid in the CFC (it was not capped) I flushed it out and the liquid is pretty black. when I brewed in the past I used to store the CFC with PBW so Im sure the liquid was once PBW also the end of the coil is green from oxidation. I would like to salvage the cooler can anyone give me advice on how to clean the inside of the chiller. I was thinking I should recirc a vinegar solution with my March pump rinse then recirculate PBW and finish with a rinse. Does that sound like a good stratagy. Does PBW work better if it is moving or just as well if it is in static contact with the copper.

Not sure if PBW works better when it's moving or not but I'd for with you vinegar soultion, PBW, rinse combination and see where you are at...maybe even some boiling water to start just to get the big stuff...

I'd do all of the above plus use some of the squishy earplugs, just put them in one end of the chiller and blast through with your water pressure.

Back