Cleaning hop bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
What is everyone's preference on cleaning hop bags? I have three that I've been using for about five years now. They have turned a brownish green color from all the hops and brews they've been in... Kind of made me wonder why they turned a different color. Does that mean they are not clean? Hmmmm...

Figured I'd ask just to see what everyone else does.

Thanks in advance!!

Dump all the gunk out, rinse, wait for them to dry, and turn them inside out and blow all the dry stuff away! (As per death brewer's method)

I occasionally throw them into a bucket of bleach water when sterilizing bottles...then rinse them very well...makes them white again.

Dump, rinse, soak in PBW (with my other equipment), rinse, throw in the laundry, air dry.

I have noticed my small hop bags turned colors after the first couple uses but my paint strainer bags have stayed white. I wouldn't think the stains are an idicator of being dirty, but after 5 years of faithful service I wouldn't feel bad about getting new ones.

Dump all the gunk out, rinse, wait for them to dry, and turn them inside out and blow all the dry stuff away! (As per death brewer's method)

This has been what I have been doing for cleaning so far.

I totally forgot to even mention why I got concerned and wrote this topic in the first place. Yesterday I was about to dryhop an amber and in preparation I typically boil everything to sanitize (then I dip in starsan). I threw a few marbles and a hop bag into a pot and brought it to boil. After a few minutes of boiling the water was a greenish yellow color (about the same color as the hop bag). So.... I ended up digging in my brew-box and found an unused hop bag for the dryhopping. That colored water made me wonder if it would impart any flavor in the Amber.... or has it been adding flavors when I throw them into the boil. Not worried about it wall really, just made me think. Hahahaa

Back