Cleaning / drying equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Logue

Reaction score
Brewing newbie here and I'm sure this has already been asked at some point. Any recommendations on easiest way to dry the inside of siphon hoses? I don't have the space to leave the hose out for an extended period of time to dry on its own.

Thanks

If you have 99% rubbing alcohol or 95% ethanol, you can spray it into the tubing and it will carry away some of the water, then it will azeotropically dry the rest. But that's a pain because it doesn't fully mix. Letting it drip dry (held straight) in a warm place is a compromise, unless your locale is humid like mine is. Will sunlight damage vinyl or silicone tubing? I would also consider permanently storing them in sanitizer if you have the space.

If you have CO2, you could blast the water out.

I never much concerned myself with drying out the siphon hose; I'd clean it, rinse it, run some Star-San through it, and hang it up.

Truth be told, I didn't do the first part all that much. :)

As far as hanging it up, couldn't you hang it inside a closet, maybe looped over the clothes rod?

Before you hang it up to dry, take the hose outside and swing it around as fast as you can in a circle. It won’t get it completely dry but it will get you most of the way there.

This is what I do, but without going outside. I just do it in my kitchen. Works wonderfully as it ejects most of the water and leaves very fine droplets that then easily air dry. For tubing that isn't permanently attached (such as my sparge water/kettle to fermenter tubing and my fermenter to keg tubing) I swing it around from one end, then switch to the other end and swing it around again - that ensures all the water in the tubing is mostly ejected.

Rev.

Before you hang it up to dry, take the hose outside and swing it around as fast as you can in a circle. It won’t get it completely dry but it will get you most of the way there.

+1 but if you have camlock fittings on the hoses make sure ALL of them have hose clamps on them. Almost took out a windshield because I didn't. :oops:

i just rinse mine with hot water and throw them in a plastic bin where they dry out naturally .. Ive yet to have any mold or issues in 5 years but I also dont brew in my basement so cant say the same would work for everyone.

I rinse them and then run some StarSan through them and then just hang them draped over my immersion chiller that's hanging where I brew... So far, so good!

Thanks for all the ideas! With mention of CO2, I'll connect it to the soda stream and give it a blast or 2 from there
Those are some expensive blasts!

I understand space can be at a premium. But really, after cleaning, rinsing, and a Starsan treatment, hang them up somewhere to let them drip out and dry.
Or use the swinging motion to get rid of most liquid, then hang them up to dry. It only takes a few days.

Back