Cleaning Debate -- PBW vs. OxiClean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyoun1e

Reaction score
As I start thinking about my next batch and I look at all the current crud in my fermenter, tubes, etc. I'm looking towards my first big cleaning. I had picked up PBW and have a jar handy. I also talked to the local guy at the home brewing store and he swears by Oxiclean saying it's more powerful and you can let it sit overnight in the solution (although I thought you could do that with PBW).

Anyways, wondering what everyone uses here. Don't want to mix and match if not necessary. Stick with what works best. I do like the idea of letting things sit overnight and then attacking the crud in a looser state the next day. That said, whatever works best.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I would say PWB is "more powerful" but oxiclean is dramatically cheaper and works well. I use oxiclean just because of the price. Make sure you buy Oxiclean Versatile Free

If you have hard water that you use for cleaning, there's something to be aware of. PBW had chelating agents in it to help mitigate hard water, while oxiclean does not. You could potentially be left with a mineral ring at the surface of the water/oxiclean if you let things soak overnight, so ensure they're filled all the way to the top.

If you have hard water that you use for cleaning, there's something to be aware of. PBW had chelating agents in it to help mitigate hard water, while oxiclean does not. You could potentially be left with a mineral ring at the surface of the water/oxiclean if you let things soak overnight, so ensure they're filled all the way to the top.

Dumb question of the day: What is "hard" water and how can I tell if it is hard?

Hard water is full of minerals. Do you have to clean white residue off your shower head? That is from minerals, the more often you need to do that the harder your water is. You can do a test for that. Not sure if an aquarium test kit is les expensive than others, but either will give you a difinative answer.

Dumb question of the day: What is "hard" water and how can I tell if it is hard?

What is your source of water for brew days?

Water composition dictates what you can readily do in brewing; very hard water is generally only suitable for dark beers (think Stout, maybe Porter); very soft water works for lighter colored beers like lagers, cream ales, like that. (this is for all-grain, but water also can impact how extract brews turn out).

Perhaps your next step in learning about brewing is looking into water. You might have lucked out in having water suitable for whatever you are doing, but I think the odds are your beer can be improved by addressing water.

You should also be aware that soaking plastics overnight in either PBW or Oxiclean will shorten their lifespan. The chemicals in both will make plastic brittle and start forming mircocracks that bacteria can hid. You wont see much effect from 20 min to a hour soak, but overnight will hasten the contact and degradation of the plastics.

I use Oxiclean Versatile Free (Perfume free stuff) because it is cheaper. I also rinse everything well with hot water first and remove as much physical debris before I soak them. I use Oxiclean as a way to supplement my cleaning skills. In carboys, soaking them in hot water for an hour, empty most of the water and shove a rag inside. When you swirl the water and rag around it will remove a lot of junk. It's more work but 90% of brewing is cleaning and I don't want to dump any of my batches because I got lazy

I've never tried Oxi. I started with PBW, and I've never had an issue, so I figure I won't mess with it. My only complaint about PBW is that it can be reluctant to dissolve, but a little agitation will usually get the job done.

You should also be aware that soaking plastics overnight in either PBW or Oxiclean will shorten their lifespan. The chemicals in both will make plastic brittle and start forming mircocracks that bacteria can hid. You wont see much effect from 20 min to a hour soak, but overnight will hasten the contact and degradation of the plastics.

I use Oxiclean Versatile Free (Perfume free stuff) because it is cheaper. I also rinse everything well with hot water first and remove as much physical debris before I soak them. I use Oxiclean as a way to supplement my cleaning skills. In carboys, soaking them in hot water for an hour, empty most of the water and shove a rag inside. When you swirl the water and rag around it will remove a lot of junk. It's more work but 90% of brewing is cleaning and I don't want to dump any of my batches because I got lazy

I have heard of the worry about leaving Oxyclean in plastic overnight. I think it is really of little concern. I have my Oxyclean in a 5 gallon water bottle. It has been in there for 6 years. I have left Oxyclean in my Better Bottles for a week or more. They are now up to 6 years old. I have had no issues.

I use the Kroger Home Sense Multi-Purpose Oxygen Cleaner, a generic oxiclean. Works great, but I have had the white residue from leaving things soaking too long. Starsan will remove it, though. As will any mild acid.

About a year ago someone on this forum posted a recipe for "PBW" by mixing 2-parts Oxiclean Free with 1-part Red Devil TSP 90. Stuff works great...have not had to scrub a carboy yet.

For my 3 gallon carboys I fill the carboy half full with (almost) hot water then add 3 tablespoons of Oxi and 1 1/2 tablespoons of TSP 90 and shake it for 10 seconds, then finish filling with almost hot water. Leave it sit for an hour and all the hard gunk is dissolved.

I also stick my blow-off hose down inside the carboy to clean it. Just don't put ALL of the hose inside or you will have a hard time fishing it out...don't ask me how I know :D

Plus, this recipe is WAY cheaper than PBW.

I have heard of the worry about leaving Oxyclean in plastic overnight. I think it is really of little concern. I have my Oxyclean in a 5 gallon water bottle. It has been in there for 6 years. I have left Oxyclean in my Better Bottles for a week or more. They are now up to 6 years old. I have had no issues.

And it may be less of a concern for PET. But it may still be damaging the plastic to some extent but your cleaning practices are making up for it. I've heard it in more in reference to softer plastics like HPDE (brew buckets) and Vinyl (hoses). I know I've left hoses over night and they turned cloudy. I now rinse my hoses with hot water after each use and do a short (<10 min) soak every few batches.

I just use oxiclean. We always have a huge box of it in the laundry room, so I just put a quarter scoop into a carboy full of hot water. I let it soak for about 20 minutes and then use a sponge to wipe the inside (BMB).

It's been cheap, easy, painless and effective. I feel no need to do more.

When I first started, I got a couple glass carboys from the guy that I bought my used equipment from. They had 3 year old dried crap in the inside and outside. I seriously considered throwing them away. I read about oxiclean here, knew we had it on hand, so I filled them with hot water and oxiclean and left 'em overnight.

The next day I dumped 'em and they were 95% clean. I refilled with hot water and spent about 10 minutes with a carboy brush (inside) and a green scrubby (outside). After that they looked like new.

And it may be less of a concern for PET. But it may still be damaging the plastic to some extent but your cleaning practices are making up for it. I've heard it in more in reference to softer plastics like HPDE (brew buckets) and Vinyl (hoses). I know I've left hoses over night and they turned cloudy. I now rinse my hoses with hot water after each use and do a short (<10 min) soak every few batches.

I have left vinyl tubing soaking also. They do go cloudy. After drying they get much more clear. I have only replaced a few of my many lengths of vinyl tubing. Mostly blow off tubes that I cannot get clean even with a long soak.

Back