Cleaning Crud out of your blowoff tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See a urologist?

I soak mine in some PBW and rinse. That stuff will clean your crud issues right up.

Another thing that helps for some of the really stuck on crud...

If you have a jet bottle washer, wad up a piece of paper towel that fits tightly in the tube. Use the water pressure to push the piece through the length of tubing a few times, to remove the gunk.

I straightened out a carboy brush. Stick it in one end and twist as you pull it out. Repeat on the other side. Then rinse it out. Works great a no soaking (as long as you do it right away, let it sit and it's concrete!)

My carboy brush was too thick, so I cut back the bristles with some kitchen scissors. It is still real tight but it gets all that crud loose so it will rinse away with hot water.
cheers

New tubing.

It's cheap at HD, and I'd rather replace it than spend an hour trying to clean out a cememted-on hop leaf.

They do make a brush for just about everything ya know.

What size blow off are you using? 1" ID or standard racking size tubing 3/8" ID?

If you rinse it right away it should come clean easily, i.e. do not let it dry out.

If it is pretty nasty, I agree wit the above. Chuck it and get a new one.

Cleaned it out pretty well. The advise helped, but I really wasn't specific in the first post. After soaking in PBW a white haze forms on the inside of the tubing should I be worried about that?

PBW typically will do this; You can clean it with some starsan or a weak vinegar/water solution (Just make sure you rinse it well if you do the vinegar route).

Back