Cleaning Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcej23

Reaction score
What is the simplest way to clean a corny keg? I've heard that I need line cleaner and a special socket to disassemble the posts. Can I get away without those things? I have oxiclean. I see the hex shape around the base of the posts. Would something undesirable happen if I just turned that with any old wrench? Someone gave me this keg and I don't know when it was last used so I'd like to clean it thoroughly.

Also, slightly unrelated, I'm new to kegging. Just bought a new regulator. Its seems pretty straightforward. I played around with it with water. Correct me if I'm wrong... to set a pressure you simply turn the dial on front clockwise until its at the desired pressure. Then if you want to reduce pressure you turn it all the way back counterclockwise, pull the tab on top of the keg to release all the pressure, then turn the dial on the regulator clockwise until you hit the new pressure. Tell me if I'm misunderstanding this. Or if you'd rather direct me to a good article or something. Just thought I'd ask instead of digging through tons of information.

First, regulator and water? I should think you'd want to keep that thing dry. Or maybe you mean water in a keg I hope?

Some disassemble all the keg's bits every time. I do not. I rinse a keg, fill with a gal water & scoop homemade pbw lid back on and shake every 5m for 20min. Hook up liquid out and gas in and flow cleaner out through liquid out until it's full of cleaner and let it sit during the 20m. The O2 only lasts 20-30m in oxy. I usually do not have to scrub anything so your milage may vary. Then blow all cleaner out using CO2 through liquid out, rinse 3 times blowing water through liquid out, then star san, blowing out through liquid out. That way I have cleaned sanitized keg and line. Every 3-4 fills I will take apart the posts to keg lube all gaskets and inspect poppets and such.

This will be one of those questions where if you as 12 people you will get 147 different answers.

Cleaning corny kegs is a pain. The simplest way is to fill halfway with PBW and the hottest water you can get. Put on lid and hit with a few PSI to seal. Invert. Give it 10 minutes. Invert it back. Give it another 10 minute soak. Then give it a shake. I then push the liquid all out with CO2, rinse with hot water, then rinse with cool water. Invert to dry.

There are a number of keg cleaners you can buy or DIY as well to help automate.

^ +1 On this...Only Difference is I use OxyClean Free. If I feel especially lazy I've been known to leave a keg soaking for a few days before I get back to cleaning the Oxy out.

+1 on flipping the keg upside down. Half the cleaner, twice the job. I just disassemble the whole keg and I do the invert part in an old fermentation bucket. It gives a very thorough cleaning. For long keg parts, racking canes, plastic paddles, hoses etc I use a wall paper tray with Oxy or PBW to soak. The long narrow tray will use less water and cleaner for the job on those long parts

I bought a submersible pump like this one and bought some PVC piping, tubing and dedicated gas and liquid ball lock connectors. I hook up the keg to the posts, have a pipe going through the opening, fill a bucket about 1/2 full with PBW or Oxi-clean free with hot water. I run the pump for about 10 minutes. Then I move it over to another bucket with clean hot water and repeat. About once a year or so I take the whole keg apart and clean all of the poppets and lube the gaskets.

Here is a link to what it looks like. I hope this gives you an idea. Also, it works great to clean fermenters too. I have shorter pipe for the center if I need to clean my 2.5 gallon keg or smaller fermenters.

I just brewed after a 5 year hiatus. I have one keg that just stinks! It woke up the house when I opened it and I'm not sure what I had in it. I cleaned it and saw hop leaves, but the smell is horrendous. I cleaned both posts for 15 mins with Marks Keg Cleaner (https://www.kegwasher.com/) with OxyClean (level 1 per gallon) and Iodophor (15 mins per post). That didn't work, so I did 1/2 cup bleach to 1 1/2 gallons water in the keg cleaner (per post), but the odor still persists (almost chemical smell now). Any recommendations before I throw the keg out?

I just brewed after a 5 year hiatus. I have one keg that just stinks! It woke up the house when I opened it and I'm not sure what I had in it. I cleaned it and saw hop leaves, but the smell is horrendous. I cleaned both posts for 15 mins with Marks Keg Cleaner (https://www.kegwasher.com/) with OxyClean (level 1 per gallon) and Iodophor (15 mins per post). That didn't work, so I did 1/2 cup bleach to 1 1/2 gallons water in the keg cleaner (per post), but the odor still persists (almost chemical smell now). Any recommendations before I throw the keg out?

Did you replace all the rubber parts?

Bleach isn't good for stainless.

Hot sodium hydroxide will likely take care of it, but it's fairly strong stuff.

I would replace all the rubber gaskets and let the keg soak and posts in hot OxyClean Free for about 24 hours. My guess is most of the smell is in the rubber parts.

+1 for the gaskets -- anything rubber. It's why I have a Root Beer keg that will only hold ... wait for it ... root beer. The gaskets on lid, dip tubes, poppets, posts -- they will all absorb and tightly hold smell for EVER.

Nobody has touched on how to take the posts apart. Can I just use a channel lock wrench or is there a special socket I have to use? anything else I should know about taking it apart?

Nobody has touched on how to take the posts apart. Can I just use a channel lock wrench or is there a special socket I have to use? anything else I should know about taking it apart?

You can use channel locks, I'd try an adjustable wrench first. Long term I find it easier to have the appropriate sockets, which depends if you have a ball lock or pin lock keg and whether they are 6 or 12 point.

Here's a page that has the size and options for both pin lock and ball lock sizes. Other than the pin lock socket they aren't any different than any other socket. I made my own pin lock socket by taking a cheap (~$4) 13/16" spark plug socket and cutting the notches with a dremel and files.

https://www.kegconnection.com/keg-sockets-choose-your-sockets/

I use a combination of sockets, open end and box wrenches as I have original ball lock, converted pin to ball lock, and rebuilt (replaced posts) kegs (13 kegs) and darned if the posts aren't all kinds and manner of different sizes. I favor the box wrenches. Can't tell ya why. One of those weird character flaw things, like disliking black patent malt and lima beans. Especially together.

To your question however, this video is very nice.

Last edited:
In my mind, it is best to get the correct deep sockets and use a socket wrench. If you ever get pin locks, it is easy enough to modify the socket for the pins, or you can just purchase one already modified.

If the posts have been overtorqued, it can be really difficult to remove them. I sometimes have to put it on the ground and use the keg itself to increase the mechanical advantage, or even a rubber mallet.

Definitely change out the consumables to get it out of the way, there are rubber o-rings for the lid, the dip tubes, and the posts, along with the poppets. I have personally been transitioning to the universal poppets, and I am exceedingly happy with them, plus they use a small standard o-ring, so it is cheap and easy enough to keep that in bulk if needed later on. If there is also a manual pressure relief valve (pull tab is easiest way to know if you have one), then you can also replace that to be sure. Once you do that, everything else is stainless and a soak in cleaner will take care of that, along with a scrub with bar keeper's friend for anything really stuck there.

My general cleaning routine for kegs is to rinse out the keg of all visible debri, and blow out the dip tubes with water as well - I built a manifold that connects to a gas disconnect and a beer disconnect for this specific purpose. After it is visually clear, I then completely fill it with the hottest water from the faucet, and then put in a scoop of oxiclean, attach the lid, and then depress the poppets to get the solution into the dip tubes. I let it soak for anywhere from 24-36 hours depending on when I am able to get back to it. I rinse out the oxiclean solution multiples times, blow out the dip tubes again with clear water, then drain and let it dry for a few days, and then I pressurize with about 10 PSI for storage.

I like to keep them pressurized for storage so that when I go to use it later, if it doesn't have any pressure, I know to check for leaks and go to a different keg if I am in a hurry. I know that this can compress the o-rings over time, but I keep all of them in bulk on hand, so it isn't a big issue for me to replace them in the future if I need to.

What is the simplest way to clean a corny keg? I've heard that I need line cleaner and a special socket to disassemble the posts. Can I get away without those things? I have oxiclean. I see the hex shape around the base of the posts. Would something undesirable happen if I just turned that with any old wrench? Someone gave me this keg and I don't know when it was last used so I'd like to clean it thoroughly.

Also, slightly unrelated, I'm new to kegging. Just bought a new regulator. Its seems pretty straightforward. I played around with it with water. Correct me if I'm wrong... to set a pressure you simply turn the dial on front clockwise until its at the desired pressure. Then if you want to reduce pressure you turn it all the way back counterclockwise, pull the tab on top of the keg to release all the pressure, then turn the dial on the regulator clockwise until you hit the new pressure. Tell me if I'm misunderstanding this. Or if you'd rather direct me to a good article or something. Just thought I'd ask instead of digging through tons of information.
IMG_20180506_091222.jpg keg cleaning with pump,,oxy,,starsan..

My cleaning sounds archaic. I use a little dawn and a carboy brush at first. Rinse a few times. The add some pbw and water and shake for about a minute or so. Rinse. The add about a gallon of star san solution, seal with a little co2 and store.

inside visible is easy but be wary of the dip tube interior -- i'd recommend pulling one ever so often and seeing what comes out. iirc 45 caliber cleaning rod worked well on mine.

it's not a special socket, you just need a deep well.

Try not to use channel locks, find the right socket or wrench

A 22mm combination wrench is my preferred tool. I'm really into quality tools, but I have been using a cheap Chinese one that is fine for this application. Definitely don't use channel locks. You might as well beat it off with a large rock!

My cleaning sounds archaic. I use a little dawn and a carboy brush at first. Rinse a few times. The add some pbw and water and shake for about a minute or so. Rinse. The add about a gallon of star san solution, seal with a little co2 and store.

It is so hard to get ALL of the Dawn out. I’ve been able to tell when I’ve tasted and looked at other brewers beer that they use dish soap somewhere in the process.... and they say ‘I’ve been using dish soap for x number of years and never had a problem’ and I just think.....yeah, you are just used to it.

Wow. Based on the above my kegs are nasty gross. All I do is give them a good rinse with hot water, if they're gunky inside might add some oxyclean and let them soak an hour or so. Rinse with hot water, then cold, then starsan rinse and fill. Once a year is when they get completely taken apart and new o-rings added (if needed) and separate parts soaked.

Wow. Based on the above my kegs are nasty gross. All I do is give them a good rinse with hot water, if they're gunky inside might add some oxyclean and let them soak an hour or so. Rinse with hot water, then cold, then starsan rinse and fill. Once a year is when they get completely taken apart and new o-rings added (if needed) and separate parts soaked.
That is what i did for a long time ,now i just add the pump and run it 10 mins for each step..it is not the inside keg i also want the ball lock and tubes...i also can back flush these

Boiling hot water is a cheap sanitiser.
Does your tap lines too when you use gas to empty it out of your keg.

20181209_105751.jpg 20181209_105727.jpg this is the gas side on my keg ,see the groovy...groovy is gas connect ..the little guy is the poppet..gas is groovy gray...use the right size wrench to break free off keg then hand loosen...when done cleaning lube the black parts orings..put the poppet in and fun part here..slowly hand tighten to set it. ,the wrench tight ,hit wit pressure spray starsan and check for bubbles,,no bubbles your good

Here's another of the 147. If it's a new keg, probably just a good soak in some cleaner, running it through the dip tube assembly, and then the same in your choice of sanitizer is enough. I got most of my kegs well-used, so everything came off and got a good soak and scrub in PBW. Also, all gaskets on posts, poppets, etc. got replaced. Once you've been through the keg and cleaned it well, it can probably go with a rinse and sanitizer between fills (and through dip tube), unless your using sour and/or Brett bugs. I will go through and really scrub a keg out once a year or so if it's in constant use. If storing a keg empty for a while, I clean it with PBW, rinse with Starsan, and pressure to 3 or 4 PSI. The key with keg maintenance is not to let them sit around at room temperature dirty; clean the keg shortly after it goes dry.

It is so hard to get ALL of the Dawn out. I’ve been able to tell when I’ve tasted and looked at other brewers beer that they use dish soap somewhere in the process.... and they say ‘I’ve been using dish soap for x number of years and never had a problem’ and I just think.....yeah, you are just used to it.
I'm talking a few drops and a very thorough rinse. I'm highly sensitive to any off flavors/smells in my beer, so I'd like to say I'd pick up on dish soap. Maybe not? Never had anyone complain. But yeah, I'll most likely switch to just pbw and call it a day.

Ever try one of those "Natures" dish soaps? No aroma...

Using your logic we could just use one of those soaps that smell like beer.

Its not just about aroma.....it is (can be) bitter, kill head retention, change mouthfeel, and/or leave an aftertaste. Even all natural aroma free soaps don't taste good :)

Admittedly a few drops isn't going to do much harm after thorough rinsing. With the amount of rinsing necessary to ensure there isn't any left wastes more water than just using something else that works as well or better.

... The key with keg maintenance is not to let them sit around at room temperature dirty; clean the keg shortly after it goes dry.

I had just this issue this last weekend. I’d always heard that the oxygenation/peroxide effectiveness of PBW lasted 20m or so. Well, yesterday was the first time I experienced the cleaning difference of brand new, vs 30-40 min old, homemade PBW (hpbw). I had several kegs, up to a month emptied but then set aside. I threw a scoop hpbw in one with warm water, and over the next 30-40m I let it sit, picking it up and shaking it about every 4-5m. Always worked in the past. Then I thought I’d be clever and push it through liquid out to the liquid in of the next one, to clean the dip tubes. Then for 30m I shook the second keg. Well, when I opened the first to rinse, it was clean as usual, while the second one still had that thin layer of sediment stubbornly affixed to the bottom. Same beer styles, same ages in kegs, same empty date. 5m after adding a couple Tblsp fresh hpbw to the second one, and a single shake, it had removed all the layer of gunk. The O2 thing is real.

I try and rinse the keg as soon as possible after it is finished, certainly the same week. I remove the lid, upend it and put my garden spray hose in there for a minute or so. I inspect it to ensure it looks clean, chuck in a litre of PAA, seal it up, shake it a couple of times and store it. When I want to use them I drain it, check it, put in 3L of boiling water, seal it up, rock, roll, shake, whatever it every now and then while getting ready to fill, upend it to drain, chuck in a litre of PAA, seal it up, shake it a couple of times, connect up the gas, push the PAA out the beer side, bleed the keg, gas to 5psi, bleed the keg, repeat a couple of times to purge and then fill. Occasionally I remove the posts, PRV and clean, inspect and replace what I need to. Occasionally I use 2% chlorinated caustic, few litres, shake, wait, shake, wait, repeat for a while though this is only if on inspection they aren't clean, smooth, shiny and so on. The boiling water thing is pretty lethal and I occasionally feel stupid doing it. The chlorinated caustic isn't something you'd want to leave in there.

00F0F_aXlcL7SpQJc_600x450.jpg

get one of these. dude sells them for $13 and ships for another few bucks. i hang it on my regulator and am never looking for wrenches or sockets or whatnot. i wish the flathead screwdriver part was on the other side to make opening up your QDs a bit easier (the big ring tends to hit your tubing) but other than that its money well spent.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/for/d/homebrew-keg-wrench/6760931086.html

Absolutely one of the handiest tools I have in my brewery!
I use it for liquid/gas disconnects, removing posts, etc
I keep the sockets and ratchet handy for those stubborn posts.

Everybody has their own cleaning process, here's mine: When a keg kicks, I open it, rinse out the trub, fill it half way with water and add starsan concentrate. Close and swish. Drain and rinse with clean water. Pressurize and place in storage until I'm ready to use.

On brew day, I'll remove the keg posts with a deep well socket ( I have ball lock kegs) and place them in a dishpan of starsan use for that purpose alone. I'll rinse the keg again with starsan. I run a dip tube brush through the dip tubes, apply keg lube to all the rubber seals and reassemble, ensuring all the poppets and springs are in place ( A missing spring won't be found until you go to tap the keg: ask me how I know this). I reassemble, fill, pressurize, tag and place into storage until there's a conditioning slot available in the kegerator. One time I have also cleaned the beer lines by taking a half full keg of starsan from my rinsing operation and running it through the tap utill the "beer" in the lines turns clear.

You should have on hand:

spare o rings including those for the poppets, post bases, dip tubes and lid.

Also, several spare poppet springs.

My process includes rinsing out with hot water then filling with hot water and B-Brite. I let it soak for an hour minimum then half empty (to lighten) and pressurize. I the flush fluid side using a picnic tap. Next I rinse thoroughly and do aStarSan rinse using same process. Empty, lube o rings and store wit no pressure. It weakens the poppet springs.
I disassemble ball valves as needed.

Back