Cleaning carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugDude

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first batch. Thank you to everyone who's responded to my questions that helped get me this far.

I have a plastic 6.5 gal fermenter that I used. After dumping the trub (I know you can salvage the yeast but baby steps lol) I washed out the carboy. Took some hot water and pbw and shook the heck out of it. Took a carboy brush to it, rinsed and repeated.

The carboy is clean. I see nothing anywhere but it still has the smallest hint of my brew in it. It's really faint. There's no stain or gunk in the carboy that I can see at least.

I'm wondering if this faint smell will effect my next batch or if there's something else I need to do to clean the carboy.

It's fine. Air dry. By the time you brew next, you'll have it soaking in sanitizer, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's normal to have a little residual beer smell in your fermenter right after cleaning. I'm betting that as it air dries, the smell will fade out nearly completely. A good rinse with sanitizer prior to your next batch should be all you need.

The faint smell will dissipate with time, and before you use the carboy again, you'll be running sanitizer through it, which will also help. If you can't see anything, and the scent is faint now, I'd do nothing and not worry about it.

OTOH, if you want to be extra-super-sure (that's a technical term, btw) do an overnight soak with PBW using water as hot as you can get it from your tap.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't sweat it.

my buckets always carried that smell. never could get rid of it even after soaking in oxyclean free. plastic absorbs. I brew darks & browns. never had a problem with brews tho. eventually the buckets were swapped with glass over time.

Back