Cleaning Carboy with Bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I let my carboy sit with a water/pbw mixture for a few weeks. Apparently there was a lot of yeast still in the bottom of the carboy. When I was finally able to track down this awful smell, I realized that it was the carboy. I cleaned it again with pbw and hot water but I want to make sure there isn't any bacteria in it. Would it hurt to put a water/bleach mixture in there, of course rinsing very well.

It won't hurt.It also could be a reminder to blast it out with super hot water next time.My favorite for carboys is oxy something.

Have you not been sanitizing? Because bleach is a sanitizer and unless you've been using another sanitizing agent (iodophor, star san, etc) then the awful smell is from not killing everything.

Also, there's nothing pbw can do it a few weeks that it can't do in a hot overnight soak.

I'd say as far as killing microorganisms, StarSan does just as well as bleach.

But not only that, when you use StarSan you get a lot of benefits:

1) It's safe. The Five-Star president (CEO? I don't remember) proved it's non-toxicity by drinking a pint of properly diluted solution.

2) It's no-rinse. You have to rinse bleach off (which make sanitization a moot point) or wait a long time until it evaporates.

3) It acts as yeast nutrient. If you accidentally get a bit in your beer or if you rack on top of the foam that is left behind after you dump out or rack the StarSan (like you're supposed to), then it's no problem.

4) Fun with StarSan foam! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/stupid-starsan-tricks-why-you-shouldnt-fear-foam-127044/

5) It lasts for a long time. You can reuse a diluted solution multiple times. Many users have a bucket or corny keg they use just to hold StarSan solution. As long as the pH is in an acceptable range it's still good.

Reno_eNVy said:
I'd say as far as killing microorganisms, StarSan does just as well as bleach.

But not only that, when you use StarSan you get a lot of benefits:

1) It's safe. The Five-Star president (CEO? I don't remember) proved it's non-toxicity by drinking a pint of properly diluted solution.

2) It's no-rinse. You have to rinse bleach off (which make sanitization a moot point) or wait a long time until it evaporates.

3) It acts as yeast nutrient. If you accidentally get a bit in your beer or if you rack on top of the foam that is left behind after you dump out or rack the StarSan (like you're supposed to), then it's no problem.

4) Fun with StarSan foam! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/stupid-starsan-tricks-why-you-shouldnt-fear-foam-127044/

5) It lasts for a long time. You can reuse a diluted solution multiple times. Many users have a bucket or corny keg they use just to hold StarSan solution. As long as the pH is in an acceptable range it's still good.

Everyone toast their glasses of star san for good health!

dgoldb1 said:
I let my carboy sit with a water/pbw mixture for a few weeks. Apparently there was a lot of yeast still in the bottom of the carboy. When I was finally able to track down this awful smell, I realized that it was the carboy. I cleaned it again with pbw and hot water but I want to make sure there isn't any bacteria in it. Would it hurt to put a water/bleach mixture in there, of course rinsing very well.

That's what I would do, since you created a toxic swamp in your carboy. Rinse it very very well, as you said.

if you do not have a carboy brush, now would be the time to invest in one.

Back