Cleaning bottles last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisr

Reaction score
Bottles were already cleaned just sitting for about a month TRYYIIING to be carefull.
In the bathtub. One bucket full of oxy clean with brush. Another bucket for sanitising with BTF idpophor sanitiser. I was the sanitising the Sanitising bucket (something was on the bottom) with the oxyclean.
rinsed and added BTF.
Or so I think. SWOMBO says I did not rinse out the oxyclean. Yes I did I say, and rather smugly. Already added BTF and water was rising to top.
If by chance she was right, pretty confident I rinsed is there anything to worry about with a little Oxyclean in my sani solution? She was not in room whole time just peanut gallerying.
If she did not say anything I would be 100% confident I was carefull to rinse oxyclean out. It did not smell of it or have the slippery feel of oxyclean.
Gonna Bottle today should I do the process all over again?
I also rinsed after drowning bottles if BTF each time.
BTW if there is no oxyclean is it nessecary to rinse normally? Bottle says to but it is advertised as no rinse.
Thanks

I wouldnt worry about it unless you had a strong concentration of Oxyclean on the bottom or a gallon sitting there ..

I am a little :confused: about this "I also rinsed after drowning bottles if BTF each time" why would you sanitise then rinse with water Unless it was with pre boiled water you just unsanitised your sanitised bottles...BTF is a none rinse sanitiser just let it air dry.

Thanks Springer.
That is the directions on the bottle. Which is why I asked. I see it advertised as no-rinse but was not going to chance it till got advise. I usually use the powder no rinse One Step... I think... but did ran out.
Thanks
You crazy Homer

FWIW, Oxyclean and One-Step are one and the same. Sodium percarbonate that frees H2O2 when in contact with water.

Homercidal said:
No worries. Women don't know what they are talking about usually.

Well, at least you're basing your opinion on fact. :D

I agree- no worries on the "maybe" not rinsing. You'll be fine- no off flavors like you'd get with bleach not being rinsed.

Back