Cleaning bottles in dishwasher question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGreuelRules

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I was thinking of cleaning my bottles for bottling day in the dishwasher, but I've read that I shouldn't use typical detergent. Any suggestions/input on whether I should or should not clean them in the dishwasher, and if so - any cleaning solution/detergent I should use?

Thx

Sanitize them in the dishwasher if it has an antibacterial setting, but clean them before you put them in. Don't use soap or jet-dry. Use the dishwasher as a bottle rack while filling your bottles.

I would totally sanitize the inside of the dishwasher and remove any gunk from the filter. The water jets have a tendancy to push nasties in the bottle if any are in there. Don't use any detergents or anything else.

I agree, I wouldn't clean the bottles with the dish washer. They should be cleaned with a brush. To save time I cut the end of the handle off of my bottle brush and put it on a cordless drill. It works good and its fast!

been soaking and washing my bottles in this Simple Green Rig Wash then i rinse WELL! and put in the dish washer which i run once EMPTY to clear out any left over detergents then fill the machine with bottles and run full cycle.

Dude...1 word....Oxyclean!
X2

If you have gunk in your bottles, fill a bucket or bathtub with oxyclean, add your bottles, and after a few hours all you will have to do is rinse them out. Then change the water to a sanitizer and dip the bottles and they are ready to go. A bottle washer that attaches to the sink faucet is a good investment for the cost. Makes rinsing the inside of the bottles very easy!

Personally I have a carboy washer attached to my sink, it works quite well for blasting off any crud in the bottle, then I dip them all in Iodophor to sanitize. Once that is doen they all go on the sanitized bottle tree until I am ready to use em.

jet-washer.jpg

You will need an adapter to use it on your faucet, but this thing makes bottle cleaning a snap.

Hmmm....I generally soak the bottles in hot soapy water...clean them with a bottle brush...stick them in the dishwasher with other dirty dishes...run normal cycle with disherwasher soap.....then sanitize them in idophor. I haven't had any issues that I could pick up

lol the simple green was free from work and its basically powder detergent so i used it and it works well for me.....considering i have 10 pounds of it now. just gotta rinse really good.

Latest posts

Back