cleaning better bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
i poured beer on a yeast cake a few times. i did not think much of it, but when i went to clean my better bottle i have a horrible krausen ring left on the top of it. i have let it soak in scalding hot water and have shaken the living crap out of it. is there any way to get it to break free?

I've had good luck putting a few scoops of oxiclean in the carboy and filling with hot tap water. I just let it sit over night, dump it out the next day and it usually comes out spotless. Have had to repeat the process a second time only once.

I used to fill with PBW to the top and soak, then dump it out and swirl a rag around in there. It worked. Now I use a sump pump to spray PBW in there and a capped PVC pipe with a hole drilled in the side facing back up at an angle to blast it off. Works GREAT. Blasts most of the dry stuff off before any cleaning and finishes it off 100%.

Here's the PVC wand I use

2012-03-07_22-25-15_609.jpg

Hot overnight soak in pbw solution, filled all the way to the top. Next day there is nothing left to do but empty it and rinse thoroughly.

If you don't want to fill it for an overnight soak the best bet to get off the stuck on crud is to make a a hot pbw solution but only fill to about 1/4 of the way. Stuff a face cloth inside, put on the closure with the plug in it and shake the crap out of it. The face cloth will get all the junk off.

Back