Quantcast

Cleaning beer lines..

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bulls Beers

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a two tap system. Right now, one side is beer and the other is Apfelwein.I was wondering when I finish a keg and replace it with the same thing should I clean it out as if it's something different? I take cleaning seriously, but I was wondering if it was a major deal?

gaffrig24

Reaction score
Most places say to clean your lines every 2 weeks to prevent beerstone from building up in the lines. I just replaced all mine from an old kegerator that I picked up. The lines in it were almost brown. I have a bottle with a pump and hose that hooks up to the faucet shank. I just pump BLC into the lines and let em sit for about 15 minutes then rinse them out with water. I also soak the faucets and couplers in the stuff when cleaning the lines. It's not too tough a job. You can get a kit from micromatic

Keith

GrantLee63

Reaction score
What gaffrig24 said .... I clean each one of my lines between kegs, and BLC is an excellent cleaner. I think the once every 2 week thing applies to commercial applications.

- GL63

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
My usual regimen is, every couple of kegs: Put some BLC in an empty keg, give it a little gas, hook up each of the two beer lines to it and push BLC into them, let them sit for a while, then put plain water in the keg and repeat, and then repeat again with starsan. Then I remove the faucets, disassemble and clean them in the sink, drop all the pieces in starsan for a while, then reassemble, stick back on the fridge, and hook everything back up again.

It does waste quite a bit of CO2 having to fill an almost empty keg 3 times to clean the two lines, but it's still a whole lot cheaper than buying one of those cleaning pumps like above.

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
Bernie Brewer said:
Every 2-3 kegs here. I use Oxyclean, and then rinse.
I've been using oxyclean, too. I wasn't sure if it was really appropriate, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use a 2 liter garden pump sprayer that I cross-threaded a beer out connecter onto. I just unscrewed the tip that was on there and removed the bits that help it make a mist. The threads are different, but being plastic I just screwed on the connecter cross-threading it all the way. It only leaks a little. I suppose one of these days I could put some plumbers putty, or maybe some epoxy to seal the leak. I just mix up some BLC in the sprayer and hook it up to the beer line disconnect, open the tap and let er rip. I let it sit anywhere from 5 min to 1 hr depending on how thirsty I am and then flush it out with the same rig, but this time filled with water

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
BierMuncher said:
I clean my beer lines with fresh beer. :D

I used to clean my lines between every keg when I first got my kegerator (but those wer 15 gal kegs of BMC) Now I am just lazy and only clean them after 2-3 kegs or so

blefferd

Reaction score
since i only have 3 taps on my kegorator, i keep a keg full of water and beer line cleaner and clean my lines every now and then :rockin:

Poindexter

Reaction score
pjj2ba said:
It only leaks a little.
Can I put that in my sig for a little while?

/jack

I blow my tap line out with Oxyclean (and water) between kegs. Then rinse, then disinfect. I only have the one picnic tap...

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Quote:Originally Posted by pjj2ba
It only leaks a little.
Poindexter said:
Can I put that in my sig for a little while?

/jack

I blow my tap line out with Oxyclean (and water) between kegs. Then rinse, then disinfect. I only have the one picnic tap...
Knock youself out. Maybe I'll put this is mine....
I blow my tap line